Why don't managed school Apple IDs come with email?

Question:

Why don't managed school Apple IDs come with email?

I'd love to be able to run a school that uses iPad without having to implement Google Workspace or Office 365 to get email.

Posted on May 05, 2024 in response to wayer

Interesting question - In schools, Managed Apple IDs particularly address the issue of a lack of storage in in order to collaborate using the rich tools, and providing an effective solution of backing up iPads etc.

I guess the assumption is that most schools or districts already have some form of email system and a lot of effort has been focused on Federating with them with the logins provided by those systems.

Apple doesn't provide strong tools for monitoring and maintaining email as most edu organisations would like them - the iCloud+ Custom Email Domains are targeted at single users and families who are bringing their own domain names and provide only basic tools for management there.

It's worth mentioning you don't need an email address just to sign-in to services - particularly for students. However it does make the collaboration/invitation process easier to have an email address.

Sorry I can't be of more help here..

Posted on May 13, 2024 in response to wayer

Hi @wayer,

I guess it's because Apple assume users already have an email address when you implement ASM so prevents duplication. I agree that this would be a useful feature going forward, for establishments that already have ASM set up. We create our Apple IDs manually atm but we're looking at integrating them with our MIS system. A bit reluctant atm, thinking about the old adage, "if it ain't broke, don't try and fix it". It could potentially save us a significant amount of time at the start of each academic year though...

Jo

Question: Why don't managed school Apple IDs come with email?

Maximum file size: 400MB

Insert a video

Insert an image

Insert an image

125: 125
220: 220

This action can’t be undone.

Error Message

Are you sure you want to continue? Your changes will not be saved.

This post contains content from YouTube.

If you choose to view this content, YouTube may collect and process certain personal data. You can view YouTube’s <a href="https://www.youtube.com/t/privacy" target="_blank">privacy policy here<span class="a11y">(opens in new window)</span>.</a>

This post contains content from YouTube.

You’ve rejected content from YouTube. Tap the button below to change your consent.