Vanguard Teachers

Question:

I'm interested in staring a vanguard group of teachers in my building/district. If you have experience establishing teach leaders, I'd love some advice and guidance.

Question marked as Solved
Answer:

Posted on

Answer:

Jennifer, thank you for your detailed response! Since you've started a vanguard group more than once, I appreciate your expertise and suggestions. I love that you use Apple's 5 Elements of Learning for the trainings. I've been to Apple Academy twice and that's where I got the idea as well :)

Posted on February 17, 2023 in response to JillMerk

Hi Jill! I am soooo excited for you and your Vanguard journey! It has by far been the best thing I’ve ever done with the teachers I work with and has really helped deepen the level of tech integration across our district. I am by no means an expert but I have started Vanguard teams in two different districts now and have learned a few things along the way. I would love to share with you. Here are some thoughts to get you started.

1. Create an application so those interested can apply. This allows everyone to feel as though they had an opportunity to participate.
  2. Start with a manageable number of teachers. So you can complete coaching cycles with them in between Vanguard meetings. I currently have about 20 on two teams (freshman and senior vanguard)
  3. Plan a kickoff. We host ours during the summer. Two days for our freshman team and one day for our seniors. It’s a great way to create excitement and set the tone for the year.
  4. Plan meetings for the year. Our freshman team meets once a quarter for half a day. Then between meetings I do individual coaching cycles. Our senior or year 2 vanguard team members meet once a quarter for an entire day.
  5. We structure our trainings grounded in Apple’s 5 Elements of Learning. With a focus on immersive learning experiences so our teachers can experience the tools and learning experiences we want students to have.
  6. If you can look into the Apple professional learning opportunity called Apple Academy. It was where I first got the idea of Vanguard.

Thats a lot! I would love to share more with you and can share examples of our trainings and activities. You can email me at ortonj@troy.k12.mo.us or find me on Twitter @jenniferlorton check out our Vanguard team work by searching #lcr3Vanguard on Twitter

Posted on February 18, 2023 in response to jorton

Really appreciate these helpful tips, Jennifer! I'm interested in starting a vanguard group of faculty in my college of education, and I think the things you've shared would be helpful in my context as well.

Question marked as Solved

Posted on May 16, 2023 in response to jorton

Jennifer, thank you for your detailed response! Since you've started a vanguard group more than once, I appreciate your expertise and suggestions. I love that you use Apple's 5 Elements of Learning for the trainings. I've been to Apple Academy twice and that's where I got the idea as well :)

Question: Vanguard Teachers

Maximum file size: 400MB

Insert a video

Insert an image

Insert an image

125: 125
220: 220

This action can’t be undone.

Error Message

Are you sure you want to continue? Your changes will not be saved.

This post contains content from YouTube.

If you choose to view this content, YouTube may collect and process certain personal data. You can view YouTube’s <a href="https://www.youtube.com/t/privacy" target="_blank">privacy policy here<span class="a11y">(opens in new window)</span>.</a>

This post contains content from YouTube.

You’ve rejected content from YouTube. Tap the button below to change your consent.