Embracing an Inclusive Mindset Through Accessible Technology

Question:

Now, more than ever before, technology can be leveraged to create a world that is inclusive and welcoming for everyone. As educators, we are in a key position to utilize the transformative power of technology to create learning spaces that honor the needs of all who enter — acknowledging every student has their own way of learning and engaging with the world. The exciting evolution of accessible technology, from screen readers to augmentative and alternative communication (AAC) applications, has started to change the traditional confines of education. This isn't about merely recognizing the potential of these tools; it's about becoming passionate advocates and working tirelessly to tailor these technologies to meet student needs. Inclusion is not a token gesture or something we check off a list; it's a commitment to expecting people to show up as they are and designing an environment where everyone's talents can be recognized, and every voice can articulate its story.

I’d love to start a conversation —

• How are you integrating accessible technology into your classrooms? 
  • What intentional actions will you take to ensure your learning spaces are inclusive? 
  • How are you purposefully inspiring others to follow this path? 

Your stories and insights have the potential to ignite a wave of change. As educators, we can learn together, create systemic change, and shape a narrative that truly exemplifies the power of our collective diversity. This isn't just about teaching; it's about mutual growth that inspires a shift in the educational narrative, one that celebrates students and all of us.

Learn more about my story by watching the documentary film “This is not About Me”, which is about my life growing up nonspeaking. (https://itunes.apple.com/movie/this-is-not-about-me/id1615786728

Read about an App Store story I was featured in and the communication apps I and others use: https://apps.apple.com/story/id1679594697?ign-itscg=as10001&ign-itsct=TOD_SC02_PT069_US_S_1679594697

Question marked as Solved
Answer:

Posted on

Answer:

I believe that all teachers need more education in the area of inclusion and accessibility. Sometimes it is presumed that teachers know how to support all learners and not enough time is given to training. I believe that by making lessons accessible we enhance the learning for everyone.

One of the intentional actions I took this year was to complete by UDL badge. I redesigned course content that was intended for teachers and made it more accessible. This has had a positive impact on engagement with the course.

Question marked as Helpful

Posted on June 26, 2023 in response to Jordynbzim

Jordyn I watched the movie about your journey a few months back and I just saw your presentation at ISTE (I'm to your front right) and you are an incredibly powerful speaker. I am a digital learning coach in New Mexico and I think in response to your question; one intentional action I will take especially when initiating coaching cycles with teachers is intentionally asking about the needs of the students in the class - especially students who need more supports. In your presentation you put up that EVERYONE CAN LEARN and I hear that phrase being said in many educational communities but it also needs to be believed and actions need to follow those words. Thank you for the work you do and I hope to see you in our school district soon!

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies
Question marked as Helpful

Posted on June 26, 2023 in response to Jordynbzim

Jordyn I watched the movie about your journey a few months back and I just saw your presentation at ISTE (I'm to your front right) and you are an incredibly powerful speaker. I am a digital learning coach in New Mexico and I think in response to your question; one intentional action I will take especially when initiating coaching cycles with teachers is intentionally asking about the needs of the students in the class - especially students who need more supports. In your presentation you put up that EVERYONE CAN LEARN and I hear that phrase being said in many educational communities but it also needs to be believed and actions need to follow those words. Thank you for the work you do and I hope to see you in our school district soon!

Posted on June 27, 2023 in response to Jordynbzim

Thank you Jordyn for sharing your story and for inspiring educators to think about the actions they might take to include accessible technology in lessons and activities. So important!

Question marked as Solved

Posted on November 16, 2023 in response to Jordynbzim

I believe that all teachers need more education in the area of inclusion and accessibility. Sometimes it is presumed that teachers know how to support all learners and not enough time is given to training. I believe that by making lessons accessible we enhance the learning for everyone.

One of the intentional actions I took this year was to complete by UDL badge. I redesigned course content that was intended for teachers and made it more accessible. This has had a positive impact on engagement with the course.

Question: Embracing an Inclusive Mindset Through Accessible Technology

Maximum file size: 400MB

Insert a video

Insert an image

Insert an image

125: 125
220: 220

This action can’t be undone.

Error Message

Are you sure you want to continue? Your changes will not be saved.

This post contains content from YouTube.

If you choose to view this content, YouTube may collect and process certain personal data. You can view YouTube’s <a href="https://www.youtube.com/t/privacy" target="_blank">privacy policy here<span class="a11y">(opens in new window)</span>.</a>

This post contains content from YouTube.

You’ve rejected content from YouTube. Tap the button below to change your consent.