Swift Explorations vs Fundamentals

Wanted to get opinions on Apple's Develop in Explorations vs Develop in Fundamentals resources. I am teaching a full year course and deciding if I go with or the other or both. If both - which one first? It appears Explorations is meant to be the first of the 4 resources provided by Apple, but there seems to overlap with Fundamentals. Thoughts from those who used either or/both.

1 reply

August 22, 2023

Hi Anthony! Explorations first, absolutely. There is an excellent curriculum resource guide here.

1. Explorations aligns with the App Development with Swift ASSOCIATE certification via Certiport and is geared towards dual enrollment/HS but definitely a great introduction into Swift and programming for those without any background.
  2. Explorations AP CS Principles is exactly the same as the first book with some additional components to help prepare students for the AP CS Principles exam via College Board.
  3. Fundamentals aligns with the App Development with Swift CERTIFIED USER certification via Certiport and is geared towards college/universities/workforce and although it is also able to be started without prior programming background, it's a MUCH quicker ramp up into hands-on coding and some advanced topics. It's my experience that successfully completing the first book is essential before diving into Fundamentals.
  4. Data Collections does not align with a certification as the goal is to learn advanced topics and ultimate, publish your own app to the app store!

I'd be happy to connect further if you'd like to offer my advice. I support educators across the nation in bringing Develop in Swift to life in the classroom - through a non-profit organization called NC3, the National Coalition of Certification Centers!

jeramiah.pauly@nc3.net

Maximum file size: 400MB

Insert a video

Insert an image

Insert an image

125: 125
220: 220

This action can’t be undone.

Error Message

Are you sure you want to continue? Your changes will not be saved.

This post contains content from YouTube.

If you choose to view this content, YouTube may collect and process certain personal data. You can view YouTube’s <a href="https://www.youtube.com/t/privacy" target="_blank">privacy policy here<span class="a11y">(opens in new window)</span>.</a>

This post contains content from YouTube.

You have rejected content from YouTube. If you want to change your consent, press the button below.