Do you teach or talk about…..

When teaching code do you go over flowcharting or pseudo-code prior to teaching the language? I know my kids want to get straight to getting in iPads and coding, which is great, but this year I plan to teach flowcharting and pseudo-coding first. My thoughts are that learning these to skills can help to plan out how the code will work before just diving in.

5 replies

August 28, 2023

Hi Jeremy,

I teach my ELA students block based coding from the approach that it is similarly structured like writing an essay with a beginning, middle and end. The instruction is paired with learning Shakespeare and having them write code to act out an assigned scene from the play. This is a computational thinking perspective called ambiguity and exploration with the code is part of the learning process.

August 29, 2023

That’s sounds really awesome. I’m honing to have yeti try something like that except 5th grade level

August 29, 2023

We start with Keynote prototyping and planning with Freeform then get into coding.

Sometimes we also use Shortcuts to show the importance of having all the steps lined up for the right process.

August 29, 2023

Using shortcuts in that way is very innovative. Another tool I will try with my class. In Freeform are they using it an endless whiteboard for planning?

September 10, 2023

When teaching coding using Minecraft Education on iPad, I had a similar experience...With the first cohort, we went right into coding and I found that we often had to go back and talk about the thinking of certain approaches. Things that, in the second cohort, would prove to be best covered during the first few sessions before getting into actual coding on the iPads.

Sounds like your instincts are on point, in my opinion! :-)

Maximum file size: 400MB

Insert a video

Insert an image

Insert an image

125: 125
220: 220

This action can’t be undone.

Error Message

Are you sure you want to continue? Your changes will not be saved.

This post contains content from YouTube.

If you choose to view this content, YouTube may collect and process certain personal data. You can view YouTube’s <a href="https://www.youtube.com/t/privacy" target="_blank">privacy policy here<span class="a11y">(opens in new window)</span>.</a>

This post contains content from YouTube.

You have rejected content from YouTube. If you want to change your consent, press the button below.