Thoughts on Coding

Question:

I am curious of people's thoughts/experiences on teaching coding to elementary age children. Have you taught coding yourself? What type of setting have you taught coding? What have you found successful? What have you found frustrating?

Posted on March 06, 2024 in response to TeacherInTheHall

I have used Code.org with students before. They have unplugged activities where students do not need an electronic device to complete.

Posted on March 11, 2024 in response to TeacherInTheHall

Good morning,

I have taught coding in elementry school for a few years. I use Swift playgrounds primarily. I teach 3rd to 5th grade. Some of the kids take to it like a fish to water, but others have struggles like any subject. They love being able to see their work on the screen though.

Posted on March 27, 2024 in response to TeacherInTheHall

Before coming to Apple I taught coding in elementary school for many years. The younger the students the more they were interested when there was a physical output, like a robot that moved when you ran the code. My 4th and 5th graders loved BeetleBlocks and we had a 3D printer to make their creations come to life.

There are so many compelling projects and resources out there to teach coding now, and I found it really fun to learn alongside my students. Exploring a new toy/robot/motorized thing together, or trying to debug why a loop wasn't stopping.

I don't remember anything being particularly frustrating... maybe not having good WiFi, but that wasn't a reflection on the content or topic.

Happy to answer any more specific questions you have.

Posted on April 05, 2024 in response to TeacherInTheHall

I have taught coding from about 6 years up to adults. I think for the younger students it is important to do a lot of unplugged coding activities. These may be doing directions, making sandwiches etc.

1. Success wise we have had a lot of success with the Everyone Can Code Projects as well as developing apps. We have also had success with accessories such as Sphero.
  2. Frustrations wise. Finding enough time!

Question: Thoughts on Coding

Maximum file size: 400MB

Insert a video

Insert an image

Insert an image

125: 125
220: 220

This action can’t be undone.

Error Message

Are you sure you want to continue? Your changes will not be saved.

This post contains content from YouTube.

If you choose to view this content, YouTube may collect and process certain personal data. You can view YouTube’s <a href="https://www.youtube.com/t/privacy" target="_blank">privacy policy here<span class="a11y">(opens in new window)</span>.</a>

This post contains content from YouTube.

You’ve rejected content from YouTube. Tap the button below to change your consent.