Texas Swift Teachers Discussion

Question:

The Texas Apple Team is kicking off this discussion with teachers, CTE directors/coordinators, and school leaders around teaching Swift coding and app development with an event we are hosting at Apple Austin on March 28, 2024. The event, The Developer's Mindset: Tools for Teaching Code, will bring in classroom practitioners, education partner Kai's Education, industry-recognized certifications through Certiport, and local higher education institution, Austin Community College.

As part of this discussion, we would love for teachers and school leaders share best practices, videos, templates, Swift Playgrounds, and any other resources around how they are successfully teaching Swift coding in their school.

Consider the following questions in your responses:

• How are you currently teaching Swift coding and app development in your school/district?
  • What resources or curriculum are you using to teach Swift coding and app development?
  • What professional learning opportunities are there for teachers to be trained in teaching Swift coding and app development?
  • Is your Swift coding and app development program aligned with the Texas CTE Program of Study?

Posted on March 22, 2024 in response to DavidH-AppleEU

I've used the following to teach coding/app development with my 1st-5th Gifted and Talented students:

• Learn to Code 1
  • Everyone Can Code: A Journal for Early Learners
  • App Prototyping with Early Learners: A Guided Journal
  • Celebrating You
  • Design a Simple App
  • Design an App Icon

My 5th graders compete in a district wide App Development Showcase. Last year, I joined the Teacher Coding Cohort with the ALP in our district.

Posted on April 02, 2024 in response to amanda_e

@Amanda - thanks for sharing how you teach Swift with your 5th graders! I'm getting ready to pull together Swift teachers in Texas for a virtual meetup this month. I'll post details here once we finalize the date and time.

Posted on April 02, 2024 in response to DavidH-AppleEU

Apple announced last week the new Develop in Swift Tutorials, a self paced series of videos and documentation for high school and college teachers and students. Check it out here: https://developer.apple.com/tutorials/develop-in-swift

Question: Texas Swift Teachers Discussion

Maximum file size: 400MB

Insert a video

Insert an image

Insert an image

125: 125
220: 220

This action can’t be undone.

Error Message

Are you sure you want to continue? Your changes will not be saved.

This post contains content from YouTube.

If you choose to view this content, YouTube may collect and process certain personal data. You can view YouTube’s <a href="https://www.youtube.com/t/privacy" target="_blank">privacy policy here<span class="a11y">(opens in new window)</span>.</a>

This post contains content from YouTube.

You’ve rejected content from YouTube. Tap the button below to change your consent.