Caching best practices?????

Question:

1:1 iPads across a campus plus 4 sets of shared iPads [a new setup for us here], so I have 1 older Mac Mini still running the Server app, and 1 newer-than-that-one Mini caching because I turned it on in Preferences - these are both in server rooms in different buildings.

I also turned on caching on a few other Macs across campus [a few Apple silicon Minis, and iMac or three....8 buildings]

The iPads ARE seeing the caches, caches seem to be communicating.

But we've seen some REAL oddities with the shared iPad carts [this is our first year with them]... which makes me wonder if I have made the caching far more complicated than it should be.

Any advice? Any resources? Any Dad jokes?

Tagged in: iOS

Posted on September 02, 2022 in response to MDStech

Describe the oddities?

Providing the devices are on the same internet connection there shouldn't be an issue unless there are blackspot. Strong internet is key to shared iPad.

Posted on September 13, 2022 in response to MDStech

I'm wondering what the odd things are you are seeing as well?

Posted on September 15, 2022 in response to MDStech

Hi MDStech - great question and great idea on getting apps and updates out to your iPads using content caching!

I would highly recommend viewing the Content Caching video published on our IT Videos page to see if it helps you explain any of the oddities you're seeing. Check it out here.

Also, be sure to reach out to your aligned Apple Education Systems Engineer as well - you have a dedicated team to help you with all your Apple EDU solutions! You can find out who your Apple SE is by calling 1-800-800-2775 and choose option 4 to get connected with your school's Apple sales team.

Thanks!

Question: Caching best practices?????

Maximum file size: 400MB

Insert a video

Insert an image

Insert an image

125: 125
220: 220

This action can’t be undone.

Error Message

Are you sure you want to continue? Your changes will not be saved.

This post contains content from YouTube.

If you choose to view this content, YouTube may collect and process certain personal data. You can view YouTube’s <a href="https://www.youtube.com/t/privacy" target="_blank">privacy policy here<span class="a11y">(opens in new window)</span>.</a>

This post contains content from YouTube.

You’ve rejected content from YouTube. Tap the button below to change your consent.