iPad Modes - recommended positions for iPad use

Question:

Our Year 7 students have moved from laptop to iPad this year, with keyboard and pencil inclusion. We noted that students were often using their iPads as if they are a laptop and we were seeking to encourage more dynamic use. One of our main observations was that students often set their iPad upright to draw or diagram, which I thought seemed awkward, so I designed the attached poster to support dynamic iPad use depending on the process (amongst other suggestions), recommending laying the iPad flat for drawing and diagramming.

Then, noticing some of the same practice amongst my young digital illustrator co-curricular group (10-12 years old), we chatted more about this and some students articulated drawing practice akin to an easel or architectural drafting table where the elevation is useful. So with my possible confirmation bias challenged, I am interested in the thoughts of others. Let me know what you think.

Poster demonstrating various possible position of iPad depending on the purpose.
iPad Modes poster

Attachments

Tagged in: iPad, Drawing

Posted on September 05, 2022 in response to Lisa

I agree that this is a problem. Personally I say that for handwriting or drawing students should have the iPad flat on the desk or at a shallow angle using the iPad case the students have. It is a battle.

How can it be comfortable using a steep angle?

Is it just inertia?

Posted on September 06, 2022 in response to stephen1729

I agree, I personally prefer the iPad flat for writing, and think it is more natural, however I was recently told by an Early Years teacher that she thought writing on an angle is actually better for small hands with the pencil grip.

Posted on September 06, 2022 in response to Lisa

Such a great idea!

Question: iPad Modes - recommended positions for iPad use

Maximum file size: 400MB

Insert a video

Insert an image

Insert an image

125: 125
220: 220

This action can’t be undone.

Error Message

Are you sure you want to continue? Your changes will not be saved.

This post contains content from YouTube.

If you choose to view this content, YouTube may collect and process certain personal data. You can view YouTube’s <a href="https://www.youtube.com/t/privacy" target="_blank">privacy policy here<span class="a11y">(opens in new window)</span>.</a>

This post contains content from YouTube.

You’ve rejected content from YouTube. Tap the button below to change your consent.