iOS 16.1 - What’s your favorite new feature?

Question:

I’m just exploring the update to iOS 16.1 on iPad. Lots of creative new features! Would love for us to share here what (so far) is a productivity feature or added technique that you think will enliven and enhance your lesson creation, student learning and teaching?

Question marked as Helpful

Posted on October 26, 2022 in response to cherylD

The new Weather app on iPad! 🌧️ ☀️ 🌈

This will be a game changer in my Geography classes when students are learning about weather and climate!  

Screenshot from the new Weather app on iPad

Ever since I saw the Lift Subject feature on the iphone iOS16 update I have been super keen for it to come to iPad so LOVE that is part of the new update! This will be an absolute game changer with projects in AR and media arts etc 🫶🏻

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

The new Weather app on iPad! 🌧️ ☀️ 🌈

This will be a game changer in my Geography classes when students are learning about weather and climate!  

Screenshot from the new Weather app on iPad

Posted on October 26, 2022 in response to ehughes

Oh my gosh - I hadn’t seen this! Thanks Eoin. A very “cool” geography and climate science learning tool!

Ever since I saw the Lift Subject feature on the iphone iOS16 update I have been super keen for it to come to iPad so LOVE that is part of the new update! This will be an absolute game changer with projects in AR and media arts etc 🫶🏻

Posted on October 28, 2022 in response to Rachel_APLS_TechPlayTeach

Yes Rachel! I was waiting for the Lift Subject also to arrive on iPad. It certainly speeds up my work flow! And it takes several steps out of all my instructions on how to build montage posters or images in Pages and Keynote. Such a help!

Posted on March 21, 2023 in response to Rachel_APLS_TechPlayTeach

YES! We love the Lift Subject feature! Who needs a green screen for photo? Not iPad users 🎉

Posted on October 28, 2022 in response to cherylD

I'm super interested to hear people's thoughts - I feel like I haven't explored it fully yet.

Posted on October 28, 2022 in response to jj_pj

Two things I like in work flow, JJ, are adding Reminders to reply in Mail so when I forget that someone sent me an email I need to respond to, I can get reminded to do so.

I also like to be able to add customizable toolbars in Mail and other Apple apps.

Here is the Apple support feature list and the Apple new features list for iPadOS 16. I’ve got a lot to try!

Posted on October 28, 2022 in response to JulieP

Nice, thanks Julie! I’m trying that now! Love your example.

We’ve used instant alpha in the past, but the new lift subject from background will make it easier for students to create images that personalize a habitat or enhance their story telling.

examples of students in a habitat, basketball game, or in front of Mount Rushmore.

Posted on October 28, 2022 in response to 4Curiosity

Very cool. I agree, certainly makes creative projects easier to imagine and complete. Thanks for the examples!

Posted on October 29, 2022 in response to cherylD

I've noticed that punctuation has improved in dictation, which is a feature I use quite a bit, so that's been a real perk of the most recent update for me! Really loving all the thoughts in this thread and will definitely be checking back. Thanks for posting this question, Cheryl!

Posted on October 29, 2022 in response to cherylD

Today while I was working in Pages on a challenge for Native American Heritage month, I learned a couple of things.

1) To switch from word processing in Pages to page layout mode you now tap the little arrow in the upper left by the name of your document and select Document Options then Document Set up. Then the menu on the left will change to Document and you can select to turn off Document Body. It took me a while to figure this out. Prior I think we accessed it under the three dots in the upper right. I like the other features that are now easily accessible under the dropdown next to the Pages document name.

Switching from word processing to page layout in Pages
Switching from word processing to page layout in Pages
2) When you are copying an image from the web, you now have the ability to Copy Subject which provides the “lift out” feature that Rachel mentioned. You don’t have to save the image to Photos first. Also as a plus (and I may be behind the times on this), when you use the Mark up feature in a screen shot, if you draw a circle with your finger, complete the circle and hold for a second, it will turn your hand drawn squiggle into a proper circle. 
Copy subject when copying the image from the web
Copy subject when copying the image from the web

3) When making screen shots for my Pages activity I noticed that there are more saving and/or deleting options.

Copy and delete screenshot
Copy and delete screenshot
These features are making my workflow so much easier! 

Posted on March 15, 2023 in response to cherylD

I personally have been having a lot of fun with the ability to remove backgrounds from photos and then create and share these photos. I led a workshop for preschool teachers that included this tip and trick and they got so excited about how they could focus on a child for capturing individual learning and activity without necessarily having to show what all the other students were doing around them. It helped them to provide focus on play and discussions with parents during parent-teacher conferences.

Focus has also helped me to get focused on the separation between home and work helping me find balance in life even more than before!

I'm excited to try Freeform out and think about the possibilities in education - whether for student or teacher collaboration, I am always looking for new tools to help us work and build skills in teamwork.

Beyond this, I have been enjoying being able to edit/unsend messages and emails, capture Live Text from photos and video, and am excited to play with the new accessibility feature of turning audio into text in real-time to follow along more easily with conversations and media! I also just found out about the Reply later feature and being able to mark a text message to come back to it later - swipe right and then tap on the speech bubble.

Posted on March 15, 2023 in response to rpencetech

Yes! Edit and unsend messages - such a plus!

Question: iOS 16.1 - What’s your favorite new feature?

Maximum file size: 400MB

Insert a video

Insert an image

Insert an image

125: 125
220: 220

This action can’t be undone.

Error Message

Are you sure you want to continue? Your changes will not be saved.

This post contains content from YouTube.

If you choose to view this content, YouTube may collect and process certain personal data. You can view YouTube’s <a href="https://www.youtube.com/t/privacy" target="_blank">privacy policy here<span class="a11y">(opens in new window)</span>.</a>

This post contains content from YouTube.

You’ve rejected content from YouTube. Tap the button below to change your consent.