Apple Shared iPad Storage Issues

Question:

Hi all,

This may be more about the Mosyle MDM that we use, but perhaps not. Has anybody seen the following behavior when using shared iPads?: The storage gets automatically pre-allocated based on the number of resident users, whether they need the space or not. This means that my devices reach 0% storage capacity within a few days of users logging in. When I check the number of resident users, it shows 8GB allocated for each user but their actual storage requirements are all less than 1GB. When I've spoken with Apple, they tell me it shouldn't work that way. I'm wondering if anybody has had similar issues and if so, what MDM are you using? I'm trying to determine root cause so I can fix it.

Best regards,

Gan

• If
Tagged in: iPad

Posted on November 10, 2022 in response to Gan

Hi Gan!

You can specify this under the enrollment profile in Mosyle, My School > Apple Basic Setup > Enrollment > Automated Device Enrollment, click on the enrollment profile, then when you select to activate "Multi-user (Apple Shared iPad)" on the profile there is a configuration option to "Configure user storage space". 

Posted on November 14, 2022 in response to Gan

Hey Gan,

I don't know how helpful this will be but we use Lightspeed MDM and have our shared devices set up with Guest user access. The pupils just tap on guest, get right in, use the iPad and when they log out of guest the iPad is wiped of all data and logins. Users can log in with their managed Apple ID instead which allows them to save to and work with their iCloud. Again, might not be helpful but it's sometimes good to know what others are doing/how others have organised their system!

Posted on November 30, 2022 in response to Gan

I just talked to my friend that works at Moysle in support and they said that it's all protocol commands to set up the shared iPad. They said to submit the ticket and they would take a look and see how they can help you.

Question: Apple Shared iPad Storage Issues

Maximum file size: 400MB

Insert a video

Insert an image

Insert an image

125: 125
220: 220

This action can’t be undone.

Error Message

Are you sure you want to continue? Your changes will not be saved.

This post contains content from YouTube.

If you choose to view this content, YouTube may collect and process certain personal data. You can view YouTube’s <a href="https://www.youtube.com/t/privacy" target="_blank">privacy policy here<span class="a11y">(opens in new window)</span>.</a>

This post contains content from YouTube.

You’ve rejected content from YouTube. Tap the button below to change your consent.