Argumentative Writing -

Question:

I'm looking for a creative way to activate students in an argumentative unit. Right now we read and identify to parts of an argument to determine whether it is "sound" or lacks substance. What can we DO instead?

Posted on November 21, 2022 in response to teacher63

What is the age of your students?

Posted on December 14, 2022 in response to AC-

Middle School 6-8

Posted on November 22, 2022 in response to teacher63

Great question. Can you add the age of your students. For role modeling, I have created Clips in the past and used the arrows to highlight certain features.

Posted on December 01, 2022 in response to teacher63

You might take a look at Katie Morrow’s @KatieM-AppleEDU One Best Thing book in the Apple Book Store:

Write to Change the World: Challenge Based Learning for Persuasive Writing

It’s not argumentative writing per se but has some great tips on using the writing process to persuade. It is more student driven as it is Challenge Based Learning. The students use different tools to develop their writing and provide feed back to each other on what “arguments” are convincing. Plus then they developed plans to implement supported changes.

Posted on December 02, 2022 in response to teacher63

Great question! Like others, I'd be interested to know what age group you're working with. Breaking this up into a small group activity with task cards might be one way to get students more active in breaking apart an argument. I also like to have students annotate as they read to show that they can find the central claim and evidence before evaluating the soundness of the argument. Then, like JJ mentioned in her comment, you could have students work in partners or small groups to create Clips videos or even just screen recordings where students create "think alouds" that break down the argumentative pieces of writing they've analyzed.

Question: Argumentative Writing -

Maximum file size: 400MB

Insert a video

Insert an image

Insert an image

125: 125
220: 220

This action can’t be undone.

Error Message

Are you sure you want to continue? Your changes will not be saved.

This post contains content from YouTube.

If you choose to view this content, YouTube may collect and process certain personal data. You can view YouTube’s <a href="https://www.youtube.com/t/privacy" target="_blank">privacy policy here<span class="a11y">(opens in new window)</span>.</a>

This post contains content from YouTube.

You’ve rejected content from YouTube. Tap the button below to change your consent.