Finding Problems Worth Solving

Question:

What 'wicked' problems might students solve through app development?

As part of the UK and Ireland Festival of Learning 2023 we are crowd-sourcing examples of problems and projects that have motivated students to app design action.

Posted on April 25, 2023 in response to PeterF-AppleEDU

The pupils I have worked with have highlighted a number of issues that they think they can use app design to assist with.

Mental Health apps, diabetes monitoring, environmental impact apps including sustainable shopping, habitat monitoring, support for rural isolation to name but a few.

My favourite came from a seven year old who wanted an app to design farming overalls as he felt the current offerings are just a bit boring.

Posted on May 02, 2023 in response to PeterF-AppleEDU

This past weekend we got to hear app pitches of over 50 apps at a national app development event. All the apps were presented by students aged 12+ and they were incredible. I don't think I would have been that brave or creative at that age. Some of my favourites were

1. Apps to encourage female students to keep playing sport (many often give up in their teenage years)
  2. A barcode scanner that identifies halal food
  3. Mental health apps. There were four of these presented, each one was different and well thought out.
  4. Apps to help younger siblings with reading

So much potential in that age group right now and looking forward to many of them going on to being future developers.

Posted on May 17, 2023 in response to PeterF-AppleEDU

I think one of the things I like about developing an app to solve a real world problem is how it allows students to approach often complex and interconnected social issues (that can often be thorny and difficult) in solution focused, positive way.

I love the idea of a citizenship/democracy project where pupils looks at designing apps that might promote participation among other young people. Encouraging them to vote, stay informed about current issues, connect with local councillors and politicians or participate in community initiatives for example. I really think this would be a fun and engaging way to allow them to consider and engage in active and informed citizenship.

Question: Finding Problems Worth Solving

Maximum file size: 400MB

Insert a video

Insert an image

Insert an image

125: 125
220: 220

This action can’t be undone.

Error Message

Are you sure you want to continue? Your changes will not be saved.

This post contains content from YouTube.

If you choose to view this content, YouTube may collect and process certain personal data. You can view YouTube’s <a href="https://www.youtube.com/t/privacy" target="_blank">privacy policy here<span class="a11y">(opens in new window)</span>.</a>

This post contains content from YouTube.

You’ve rejected content from YouTube. Tap the button below to change your consent.