Supporting LGBTQ+ Youth

Question:

As we reflect on our current reality and practices, it was clear that we need to revisit practices in our schools in regards to supporting LGBTQ+ youth. This year we are partnering with Illinois Safe Schools Alliance as we develop the "PHIMC Safe Schools Consortia Project." The vision statement of the project is as follows, The Consortia Project is an initiative of the Illinois Safe Schools Alliance with the goal of creating regional networks of education leaders who are committed to ensuring their school district(s) are safe and affirming environments for youth who hold LGBTQ+ identities.

We are beginning the work by analyzing the data from the Affirming Schools Needs Assessment and will create a continuum of professional development offerings that will target individual, group and school needs.

More information coming soon!

How are you supporting the LGBTQ+ youth within your school communities?

Posted on May 18, 2023 in response to MrGonzalez

That is an excellent question. Right now, I think our district has a vision as part of its equity plan. However, I feel like the currrent support greatly varies from building to building and is reliant on one or two people and could vanish if those people were to leave. Sadly, we currently do not have an active systems in place to support our LGBTQ+ students.

Posted on November 08, 2023 in response to MrGonzalez

Hi Justin, I have just published my One Best Thing which is called 'pride in primary'. It is a teacher guide with activities that promote positivity, respect, integrity, determination and equality in class so that all children feel safe, seen and valued. I hope some of these activities help teachers of 6-11 year olds: Pride in Primary on Apple Books

Question: Supporting LGBTQ+ Youth

Maximum file size: 400MB

Insert a video

Insert an image

Insert an image

125: 125
220: 220

This action can’t be undone.

Error Message

Are you sure you want to continue? Your changes will not be saved.

This post contains content from YouTube.

If you choose to view this content, YouTube may collect and process certain personal data. You can view YouTube’s <a href="https://www.youtube.com/t/privacy" target="_blank">privacy policy here<span class="a11y">(opens in new window)</span>.</a>

This post contains content from YouTube.

You’ve rejected content from YouTube. Tap the button below to change your consent.