Collaborating with managed devices.

Question:

Hi All,

We have trolleys of managed iPads (Jamf) for students to use.

I Want students to be able to collaborate on documents using Pages and Keynote but cannot find a way for them to share their document with other devices that are managed. To my knowledge, the device says that files can only be collaborated with others who have an Apple ID.

How can I have students collaborate without an Apple ID in managed devices?

Thanks

Question marked as Helpful

Posted on December 06, 2023 in response to MrWendt

As far as I know, you will not be able to collaborate. You can share documents via AirDrop, but will not be able to collaborate without the Apple ID.

Are the iPads shared between students or are they assigned to a specific student? Creating Managed IDs by your tech department is relatively easy.

I have worked with schools to add ids in two ways. If the iPad is assigned to a specific student, you can create a unique ID for that student in Apple School Manager (for your tech department)

If the iPads are shared among students, you can create a generic Managed Apple ID for the device that is unique to the devices (i.e. Art1@abc.com, Art2@abc.com)

This is a conversation you would want to have with the tech department. And as the person who manages the Apple Devices at our school, it is a lot easier to manage the devices using Apple Managed IDs.

You could also move this post to the Deployment and Management section of the forum.

Hope that helps. Feel free to ask more questions. I know how frustrating it can be to be unable to use these great features of Apple devices.

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies
Question marked as Helpful

Posted on December 06, 2023 in response to MrWendt

As far as I know, you will not be able to collaborate. You can share documents via AirDrop, but will not be able to collaborate without the Apple ID.

Are the iPads shared between students or are they assigned to a specific student? Creating Managed IDs by your tech department is relatively easy.

I have worked with schools to add ids in two ways. If the iPad is assigned to a specific student, you can create a unique ID for that student in Apple School Manager (for your tech department)

If the iPads are shared among students, you can create a generic Managed Apple ID for the device that is unique to the devices (i.e. Art1@abc.com, Art2@abc.com)

This is a conversation you would want to have with the tech department. And as the person who manages the Apple Devices at our school, it is a lot easier to manage the devices using Apple Managed IDs.

You could also move this post to the Deployment and Management section of the forum.

Hope that helps. Feel free to ask more questions. I know how frustrating it can be to be unable to use these great features of Apple devices.

Posted on December 09, 2023 in response to bwphillips70

Thanks for the response. The iPads are shared devices so potentially looking at a generic Apple ID might be the way to go.

I will speak to our IT Admin and see the possibility of this being done.

Will also post in the other section to see if others have any further suggestions.

Thanks again.

Question: Collaborating with managed devices.

Maximum file size: 400MB

Insert a video

Insert an image

Insert an image

125: 125
220: 220

This action can’t be undone.

Error Message

Are you sure you want to continue? Your changes will not be saved.

This post contains content from YouTube.

If you choose to view this content, YouTube may collect and process certain personal data. You can view YouTube’s <a href="https://www.youtube.com/t/privacy" target="_blank">privacy policy here<span class="a11y">(opens in new window)</span>.</a>

This post contains content from YouTube.

You’ve rejected content from YouTube. Tap the button below to change your consent.