Digital Workbooks

Has anyone used digital workbooks in their classrooms?

Share your experiences, please. I am curious about students' experiences.

I currently teach Maths and Science; however, Music is my passion subject. At a previous school, we transitioned to predominantly Apple-based systems, where students got iPads (Year 7–10) and MacBooks (Yr 11 & 12). Staff were all issued iPads, with a choice of MacBook Pros or standard government-issued PCs (I opted for the MacBook). We had a visit from an ADE to teach us the basics of creating digital activities, and I wanted to adapt them into a workbook format. I will soon leave my current school for a school with a BYOD setup (not ideal, nor my preference). However, I figure I can adapt what I have to another platform.

I have been redeveloping music classes into digital workbooks that can be used as in-class resources and for distance learning. For in-class use, I am developing Keynote presentations to support each lesson, making the teaching more explicit and incorporating structural elements such as 'warm-ups' and 'brain breaks'.

Many students are not always at school, so I have tried to make the workbook self-directed and autonomous. Also, many schools here have only one music teacher, so if they are absent, another teacher (in theory) could supervise the class while students complete the lessons.

I have attached an example digital workbook for your comments and feedback. I want to eventually make these available for other teachers to use on the Apple platform; however, they should be adaptable to other platforms too.

Please send or leave your comments and feedback. Any and all is greatly appreciated.

Note: Lesson content is set up for ACARA Version 9. The school context is a Queensland Government secondary school (Australia).

Attachments

0 replies

This post contains content from YouTube.

If you choose to view this content, YouTube may collect and process certain personal data. You can view YouTube’s <a href="https://www.youtube.com/t/privacy" target="_blank">privacy policy here<span class="a11y">(opens in new window)</span>.</a>

This post contains content from YouTube.

You have rejected content from YouTube. If you want to change your consent, press the button below.