What a fantastic reflection, and great use of Keynote Slide notes! Congrats on your level of student engagement with changing the format of your lesson. 😉
Elephant Poop Lab
- My original lesson was a pdf that had everything on one page, it was a wall of text and white paper, and it did little to allow students to interact or guide their thinking as they worked through the lab.
What I changed
- I turned my lesson into a keynote presentation.
- Slides can be hidden under other slides which allowed for a simpler flow, easier view, and really gave students more space to work and reflect.
- Directions for each section of the activity were moved to the speaker notes section which kept the slide free for student learning.
- Videos were embedded into the slide for student viewing. There was no opening into a separate window or clicking a link that was easy for students to ignore.
- Students were more engaged in the lesson because it wasn't on a different medium. They weren't doing another worksheet that students were putting into notability.
- Students didn't skip over background reading or directions because the format was new and they had to explore each slide and make sure they completed every step. They were collaborating better and engaged more in what they were doing.
#d214 #biology #science
Maximum file size: 400MB
Insert a video
1. Video file
2. Poster image (optional)
3. Caption file (optional)
Insert an image
Insert an image
1. Image file
2. Accessibility description
3. Caption below image
This action can’t be undone.
Are you sure you want to continue? Your changes will not be saved.
Sorry, Something went wrong, please try again
Posted on October 29, 2022
I really appreciate how you formatted your post to present an instructional design problem that you solved by reworking the original handout into a format that was more engaging for your students. As teachers, we do this work all the time, and it's so helpful when we share it with others and reflect on the impact of our design decisions. Thanks for sharing this work with us!