Why do teachers think Ed Tech is more work?

Question:

Why do teachers think Ed Tech is more work? They need to allow kids to be creative!!! Teachers need to let go!!

Tagged in: Primary Education
Question marked as Helpful

Posted on August 27, 2022 in response to kentheedtechteacher

I think a lot of teachers are afraid of the unknown, and afraid to give students the reins. The pressure to succeed, to “exceed expected growth”, to do all the things can be a lot. I think the more that administration gives the space and expectation for failure, teachers give themselves grace for trying new things, and students show the amazing things they can create through edtech, the more likely teacher are to dive in and use edtech to its fullest advantage.

I agree with Holly's comment that some educators are afraid to give up that control. We as educators need to change our mindset so that it is ok if we don't know everything, and it is ok if students know more than us in specific areas. And I think it is powerful for students if we give them that power to know more than us.

And as long as educators try to control all aspects of the Edtech learning process, students will be stifled in their creativity. We need to allow to students to use the tools that they deem necessary to demonstrate their learning.

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

I think a lot of teachers are afraid of the unknown, and afraid to give students the reins. The pressure to succeed, to “exceed expected growth”, to do all the things can be a lot. I think the more that administration gives the space and expectation for failure, teachers give themselves grace for trying new things, and students show the amazing things they can create through edtech, the more likely teacher are to dive in and use edtech to its fullest advantage.

I agree with Holly's comment that some educators are afraid to give up that control. We as educators need to change our mindset so that it is ok if we don't know everything, and it is ok if students know more than us in specific areas. And I think it is powerful for students if we give them that power to know more than us.

And as long as educators try to control all aspects of the Edtech learning process, students will be stifled in their creativity. We need to allow to students to use the tools that they deem necessary to demonstrate their learning.

Posted on August 28, 2022 in response to kentheedtechteacher

I believe it is in part to many districts ramming so much tech at our teachers so quickly. Before a teacher can master the first initiative, there are two more things that they are being asked to roll out without adequate training and/or coaching in them. This tech burnout then transfers to their classroom and students. They do not want to give the kiddos a chance to learn it themselves because of this burnout they have experienced.

Question: Why do teachers think Ed Tech is more work?

Maximum file size: 400MB

Insert a video

Insert an image

Insert an image

125: 125
220: 220

This action can’t be undone.

Error Message

Are you sure you want to continue? Your changes will not be saved.

This post contains content from YouTube.

If you choose to view this content, YouTube may collect and process certain personal data. You can view YouTube’s <a href="https://www.youtube.com/t/privacy" target="_blank">privacy policy here<span class="a11y">(opens in new window)</span>.</a>

This post contains content from YouTube.

You’ve rejected content from YouTube. Tap the button below to change your consent.