Moving devices from JAMF Pro to Meraki Systems Manager

Question:

We have a small fleet of iPad that have been managed for years in JAMF Pro, while all the rest of the school devices (Mac, Windows PC, and other iPad) have been managed in Meraki Systems Manager. This summer we. have started to close down JAMF Pro to simplify all of our management in one system. It looks like we have to rebuild many of our configurations by hand, as there does not seem to be an 'Export' or 'Save As...' button for some profiles and settings in JAMF.

Does anyone have experience with moving devices out of JAMF Pro into another MDM? Any experience moving in to Cisco's Meraki MDM?

Posted on August 29, 2022 in response to erk

We are currently in the process of moving from Jamf Pro to Jamf School, which does involve completely rebuilding everything. This does allow us to have a fresh look at different settings and restrictions to see if they are still doing what we want them to do. In Jamf Pro there is a button to download any given configuration profile, which I guess could be useful? Moving forwards, it's probably more helpful to recreate them in the Meraki interface as you can then more easily edit them in future.

We too are moving from Jamf Pro to JAMF School, and had to rebuild everything from the ground up. We then had to "touch" each device and reset it in the case of iPads, or at least delete software installed from Jamf Pro so JAMF School could install it instead for our Macs.

It was a huge job, however, we are saving tens of thousands per year, so it's worth it.

If I had to do it over again, I should have also considered Mosyle. In fact over the years I still might move all of our stuff over to them, as feature for feature they are hard to beat.

Posted on September 06, 2022 in response to Clint

We had Jamf for about 4 years, then we switched to Mosyle for the last 3 and I really liked the simplicity of it. Our district decided they wanted to go with Jamf again, but it failed miserably after a month, so we are going back to Mosyle. But I'm using the time to clean up things that I did wrong in Mosyle to kind of start fresh with the new set of eyes.

And Mosyle is a lot cheaper.

In our district of 5 schools, my site is the only iPad 1:1 program. And for the last 3 years we have been using Mosyle, which has worked perfectly for our site, and since I am running it while teaching full time, I find the simplicity nice.

Two months ago, we tried to migrate to Jamf, but after two months of trying to work with Jamf to resolve issues we were having, we are moving back to Mosyle.

I wish there was a perfect system. It seems with MDMs, that each has great things about them, and if we could just combine all the great features, we’d have an amazing product.

so I will be starting to move devices out of Jamf to Mosyle, I’ll let you know how it goes.

Posted on September 02, 2022 in response to erk

We've been using Lightspeed for years and have been pretty happy with it.

As Brian Phillips stated, there's nothing perfect out there, though!

Posted on September 04, 2022 in response to erk

HI Erk

for profiles you can download them locally then upload them as custom profiles, pretty much they are xml files they should work on any platform

i would however test them with configurator just to make sure

Attachments

Question: Moving devices from JAMF Pro to Meraki Systems Manager

Maximum file size: 400MB

Insert a video

Insert an image

Insert an image

125: 125
220: 220

This action can’t be undone.

Error Message

Are you sure you want to continue? Your changes will not be saved.

This post contains content from YouTube.

If you choose to view this content, YouTube may collect and process certain personal data. You can view YouTube’s <a href="https://www.youtube.com/t/privacy" target="_blank">privacy policy here<span class="a11y">(opens in new window)</span>.</a>

This post contains content from YouTube.

You’ve rejected content from YouTube. Tap the button below to change your consent.