Develop in Swift - how do you teach it?

Question:

I’m wondering … how do you all implement Develop in Swift at your higher ed institutions? Specifically, Explorations and Fundamentals?

Do you work with Certiport’s Apple certifications so your students can promote their achievements for potential roles in the App Dev industry?

Tagged in: Swift
Question marked as Solved
Answer:

Posted on

Answer:

From what I've seen at different community colleges and some universities is a hybrid of the Develop in Swift curriculum. Semester 1 is sometimes focused on Explorations other times it's jumping right into Fundamentals Units 1&2. Semester 2 is finishing Fundamentals and jumping into Data Collections. Semester 3 is an app development boot camp where students are prototyping apps, building out test versions of their app in Xcode, and launching the app to the store or hosting a showcase of some sort.

In terms of the certifications, Explorations aligns to the Associate level certification, and Fundamentals, Data Collections align to the Certified User certification. There are practice tests students can complete to prepare for the actual exam, and there's a free app called Unwrap in the App Store that also might help get students comfortable answering questions about Swift logic.

Check out the Develop In Swift curriculum guide (PDF), there's a great graphic on p. 5 with the HiEd curriculum pathway.

Finally, if you've never supported the Explorations curriculum and want to build off an existing course, check out the free Dev in Swift PL course in Canvas.

Here's a couple examples of successful programs that are using the Dev in Swift Curriculum:

1. OSU Digital Flagship
  2. State Swift Coding Online
  3. The App ACCelerator: Austin Can Code

Question marked as Helpful

Posted on November 30, 2022 in response to NC3jpauly

Hi NC3jpauly !

I actually do teach exactly this; Everyone Can Code, and I run the CertiPort Swift Certified User program with my students.  This is how I tackle this problem:

Overview of year levels
Overview of year levels

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies
Question marked as Solved

Posted on September 21, 2022 in response to NC3jpauly

From what I've seen at different community colleges and some universities is a hybrid of the Develop in Swift curriculum. Semester 1 is sometimes focused on Explorations other times it's jumping right into Fundamentals Units 1&2. Semester 2 is finishing Fundamentals and jumping into Data Collections. Semester 3 is an app development boot camp where students are prototyping apps, building out test versions of their app in Xcode, and launching the app to the store or hosting a showcase of some sort.

In terms of the certifications, Explorations aligns to the Associate level certification, and Fundamentals, Data Collections align to the Certified User certification. There are practice tests students can complete to prepare for the actual exam, and there's a free app called Unwrap in the App Store that also might help get students comfortable answering questions about Swift logic.

Check out the Develop In Swift curriculum guide (PDF), there's a great graphic on p. 5 with the HiEd curriculum pathway.

Finally, if you've never supported the Explorations curriculum and want to build off an existing course, check out the free Dev in Swift PL course in Canvas.

Here's a couple examples of successful programs that are using the Dev in Swift Curriculum:

1. OSU Digital Flagship
  2. State Swift Coding Online
  3. The App ACCelerator: Austin Can Code

Question marked as Helpful

Posted on November 30, 2022 in response to NC3jpauly

Hi NC3jpauly !

I actually do teach exactly this; Everyone Can Code, and I run the CertiPort Swift Certified User program with my students.  This is how I tackle this problem:

Overview of year levels
Overview of year levels

Posted on July 10, 2023 in response to NC3jpauly

Hi! I have developed my own curriculum for teaching Swift and SeiftUI via iOS app building. The course is flipped and goes from zero assumed prior experience in coding to full stack in a single semester. You can find the link to over 100 lessons used in the course, including exams and solutions, in the playlist at httphttp://bit.ly/prof-g-swiftui The keynote slides i use for in-class challenged (along with solutions and notes) are in an open Google Drive at https://gallaugher.com. For a look at what students have learned in a semester, here is the Soring 2023 Student App Showcase Summary https://youtu.be/aSV-2tT4XDY

Question: Develop in Swift - how do you teach it?

Maximum file size: 400MB

Insert a video

Insert an image

Insert an image

125: 125
220: 220

This action can’t be undone.

Error Message

Are you sure you want to continue? Your changes will not be saved.

This post contains content from YouTube.

If you choose to view this content, YouTube may collect and process certain personal data. You can view YouTube’s <a href="https://www.youtube.com/t/privacy" target="_blank">privacy policy here<span class="a11y">(opens in new window)</span>.</a>

This post contains content from YouTube.

You’ve rejected content from YouTube. Tap the button below to change your consent.