Let's Go on a Photowalk

Question:

Sometimes the simplest apps bring some of the biggest creative adventures in our spaces. My go to is always the CAMERA! Taking our iPad outside our class or school walls brings so many new opportunities to bring our learning goals to life within our community. 

At times it is hard to articulate where the learning is when we are wandering and snapping. To help colleagues and families explore and have a starting point for their conversation, I designed a collection of photowalk cards in Keynote. You can download the collection as a PDF below.

The possibilities for photowalks are endless! What are some of your favourite photowalk themes? Have an idea you are hoping to try out this year? 

Image of the front and back of two sample photo walk cards. Colours on the left and Letters on the right.
Sample Photowalk Cards

Attachments

Posted on August 27, 2022 in response to tinaZ

Tina,

What a great use of the Camera app to capture learning in the moment! I like your addition of “Where Is The Learning?” for parents and other stakeholders.

This is a great idea. I will definitely include this in my text apple presentation.

Photowalks are one of my favourite activities these photowalk cards are great started resources for teachers. I love colour walks.

I'd love ideas about how to extend the learning after the photowalk. I plan on getting my 5th graders outside next week with their iPads for the color walk activity. Suggestions?

Posted on August 28, 2022 in response to jane

What about using the colour images to create some poetry? Whether you use a template in Keynote or audio in clips. Also could be a cool quick write activity, diving in to descriptive writing - getting kids to create a 6 word description of their photo, then challenge the class to match them.

Our year is just beginning, I don't know if you are in the same situation. If you are working on setting up portfolios, I could see using it as a tool for helping students learn about documenting their learning. Silivia Tolisano had a great post years ago that I did myself and now do in teacher courses I offer. After going on a colour walk (pick one specific one), photographers have to choose the picture they feel best represents the colour and describe why.

Any of those ideas sound like they would work for your community of learners?

Posted on August 29, 2022 in response to tinaZ

Great idea!

Posted on August 30, 2022 in response to tinaZ

Love this. I went on a texture photo walk with Stage 2. They had to go and find different textures, and then we came back and built a "word wall" (words that described the textures in their photos) that helped students with their writing.

Posted on September 01, 2022 in response to jj_pj

Great idea @jj_pj I love the link to vocabulary building. We did a texture walk and created collage art pieces. I could see the two ideas working together too.

Question: Let's Go on a Photowalk

Maximum file size: 400MB

Insert a video

Insert an image

Insert an image

125: 125
220: 220

This action can’t be undone.

Error Message

Are you sure you want to continue? Your changes will not be saved.

This post contains content from YouTube.

If you choose to view this content, YouTube may collect and process certain personal data. You can view YouTube’s <a href="https://www.youtube.com/t/privacy" target="_blank">privacy policy here<span class="a11y">(opens in new window)</span>.</a>

This post contains content from YouTube.

You’ve rejected content from YouTube. Tap the button below to change your consent.