iPad pilot

Question:

Hi, all! I will probably cross post this in the General forum as well.

Currently we have MacBooks in grades 6-12 and I would like to switch to iPad. I need to run an iPad pilot/trial in order to move forward. If anyone has done this and has any tips I'd appreciate it! I NEED this to be successful!! I plan to do the pilot in 7th grade in one of the buildings I oversee.

TIA!

Tagged in: iPad

Posted on August 29, 2022 in response to rachel76

Hello!

I had the opportunity to implement iPads in an elementary and middle school setting. A few things that I found were important:

• For middle-upper grades, having keyboard cases is a must.
  • If you haven't done so already, make sure your school has a registered Apple account so that when you purchase the iPads they automatically enrolled in Apple School Manager (ASM).
  • Once you have an account established with Apple, you can set up your school's ASM. ASM has many features and tools including setting up managed Apple IDs for your students and staff, setting up classes, and other management features.
  • You'll want set up an account with either Cisco Meraki or Jamf. These are third party Mobile Device Managers (MDM) that work in tandem with ASM to deploy restrictions and other mobile management features for the iPads.
  • For your pilot, assigning each student a managed Apple ID through ASM and assigning that ID/Profile to their iPad. There's a little bit of a learning curve on the MDM side, but it just takes time. Once you have that set up, you can push out apps to devices, updates, etc.
  • With your school apple account, and through ASM, you can purchase apps. These apps are then made available to push to your school iPads that are managed through an MDM. You can have the App Store unavailable on school iPads and only push out school purchased apps through your MDM. You can also have a managed App Store through your MDM so students/staff can download apps on their devices already purchased by the school.

When I went through it, it was a lot of trial and error and learning, but it was a cool experience. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Posted on October 03, 2022 in response to rachel76

Hi Rachel,

I completed a trail iPad rollout in my school and I am happy to help. Please feel free to contact me via twitter at @catherinem23.

Catherine

Posted on October 17, 2022 in response to rachel76

When piloting a new initiative, evidence of success is critical. Effective data collection and action research can be tough to organize (for me, at least!). So, I lean on the digital book Research for Educators to help. It’s authored by Apple Education and includes several research-based studies you can adapt to your unique needs:

1. Student Attitudes Towards Learning
  2. Student Engagement
  3. Student Achievement
  4. Student Creativity
  5. Student Experience with Learning Initiative
  6. Deeper Learning
  7. Creative Environment

I really recommend checking this book out and using the data tracking templates included to plan, conduct, and share what you’ve learned in your pilot. Good luck!

Posted on October 19, 2022 in response to rachel76

One of the key strategies that I have used is to make sure that staff have iPads at least six months before we start the pilot. You also have to assume that they come to an iPad environment thinking that it's a laptop replacement – so you need to go through a process of "re-imagining" what work looks like in an iPad workflow.

Question: iPad pilot

Maximum file size: 400MB

Insert a video

Insert an image

Insert an image

125: 125
220: 220

This action can’t be undone.

Error Message

Are you sure you want to continue? Your changes will not be saved.

This post contains content from YouTube.

If you choose to view this content, YouTube may collect and process certain personal data. You can view YouTube’s <a href="https://www.youtube.com/t/privacy" target="_blank">privacy policy here<span class="a11y">(opens in new window)</span>.</a>

This post contains content from YouTube.

You’ve rejected content from YouTube. Tap the button below to change your consent.