Disable students ability to Change Desktop Background

Question:

I have tried the keyboard Services, Screen time and locking down desktop folder.

I have 32 Mac computers in my classroom. I have been searching for a way to disable students from a right/click and change desktop background. Do you know of a (even if 3rd party) way to put the computer in a 'student mode' or similar. I would only like them to have safari and the needed adobe apps. All the standard apps the MAC pre-load are a distraction. I have utilized screen time but there are a lot of limitations with it. Thanks

Question marked as Helpful

Posted on August 29, 2022 in response to wowtroy21

Hi Troy - Yes, you can absolutely manage many of the features of macOS via Mobile Device Management solutions. Check here for a full list of what can be managed in macOS, iOS, iPadOS and tvOS: https://support.apple.com/guide/deployment/restrictions-for-mac-depba790e53/1/web/1.0 . I would also recommend reaching out to your Apple Systems Engineer - they would be able to discuss your specific scenarios and possible options to fit your school, teachers, staff and students for your particular education/classroom goals. You can find out who your Apple SE is by calling 1-800-800-2775 and choose option 4 to get connected with your school's Apple sales team.

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies
Question marked as Helpful

Posted on August 29, 2022 in response to wowtroy21

Hi Troy - Yes, you can absolutely manage many of the features of macOS via Mobile Device Management solutions. Check here for a full list of what can be managed in macOS, iOS, iPadOS and tvOS: https://support.apple.com/guide/deployment/restrictions-for-mac-depba790e53/1/web/1.0 . I would also recommend reaching out to your Apple Systems Engineer - they would be able to discuss your specific scenarios and possible options to fit your school, teachers, staff and students for your particular education/classroom goals. You can find out who your Apple SE is by calling 1-800-800-2775 and choose option 4 to get connected with your school's Apple sales team.

Posted on August 30, 2022 in response to wowtroy21

With our iPads, I am able to lock the desktop screen using our MDM Mosyle. I would into how the devices are managed for a possible solution.

I would take ChaseK's advice.

Question: Disable students ability to Change Desktop Background

Maximum file size: 400MB

Insert a video

Insert an image

Insert an image

125: 125
220: 220

This action can’t be undone.

Error Message

Are you sure you want to continue? Your changes will not be saved.

This post contains content from YouTube.

If you choose to view this content, YouTube may collect and process certain personal data. You can view YouTube’s <a href="https://www.youtube.com/t/privacy" target="_blank">privacy policy here<span class="a11y">(opens in new window)</span>.</a>

This post contains content from YouTube.

You’ve rejected content from YouTube. Tap the button below to change your consent.