Managed Apple ID device limit

Question:

I know with a regular Apple ID, you are limited to 10 devices. However, does anyone know how many devices can be associated with a managed Apple ID? I am an orchestra director. I have a classroom set of iPads that are managed through JAMF. I am testing out the feasibility of using the iPads for digital music folios this year. I'm wanting to know if I can have each iPad signed into the same managed Apple ID. I have 20 devices.

Question marked as Helpful

Posted on August 30, 2022 in response to DanielJ

Hi Daniel!

Great question - sounds like you might benefit from using a Shared iPad deployment option. Take a look at this video and see if it might be a match. Also, here is a link to the deployment guide in the section on Shared iPad.

However, I would also recommend reaching out to your school's dedicated Apple Systems Engineer - they would be able to discuss your specific digital music folio goals and help you to discover the best possible options to fit. You can find out who your Apple SE is by calling 1-800-800-2775 and choose option 4 to get connected with your school's Apple sales team.

Thanks!

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies
Question marked as Helpful

Posted on August 30, 2022 in response to DanielJ

Hi Daniel!

Great question - sounds like you might benefit from using a Shared iPad deployment option. Take a look at this video and see if it might be a match. Also, here is a link to the deployment guide in the section on Shared iPad.

However, I would also recommend reaching out to your school's dedicated Apple Systems Engineer - they would be able to discuss your specific digital music folio goals and help you to discover the best possible options to fit. You can find out who your Apple SE is by calling 1-800-800-2775 and choose option 4 to get connected with your school's Apple sales team.

Thanks!

Posted on August 31, 2022 in response to ChaseK-AppleEDU

Thanks for the reply. I will look into the information you shared. Is there a hard answer to my original question, though? With a single managed Apple ID, is there a limit to the number of devices associated with it?

Posted on November 07, 2022 in response to DanielJ

Hi DanielJ - I believe what you're asking is for a single MAID (managed AppleID) to be deployed across multiple devices in a way similar to how you might have your own Personal AppleID logged in on multiple personal devices. In a Personal AppleID scenario, there is a limit of 10 devices - however, that is not the case for MAIDs, and, in fact, can cause serious issues for students/teachers and is not recommended for school deployments. MAIDs solve the issues with this by providing the school/admin with many more control options and app distribution solutions. Check out this article here for more: https://support.apple.com/guide/apple-school-manager/use-managed-apple-ids-axm78b477c81/web however, please do reach out to your Apple SE is by calling 1-800-800-2775 and choose option 4 to get connected with your school's Apple sales team.

Thanks!

Chase

Posted on August 31, 2022 in response to DanielJ

With a normal Apple ID, the 10 device limit (I believe) is for the sharing of purchased content - eg apps, music, books etc. with Managed Apple IDs, all purchasing is disabled so it’s just used for iCloud Drive/photos etc.

How would the Apple IDs be helpful in your situation? If they’re managed through Jamf, apps are installed through the MDM.

Question: Managed Apple ID device limit

Maximum file size: 400MB

Insert a video

Insert an image

Insert an image

125: 125
220: 220

This action can’t be undone.

Error Message

Are you sure you want to continue? Your changes will not be saved.

This post contains content from YouTube.

If you choose to view this content, YouTube may collect and process certain personal data. You can view YouTube’s <a href="https://www.youtube.com/t/privacy" target="_blank">privacy policy here<span class="a11y">(opens in new window)</span>.</a>

This post contains content from YouTube.

You’ve rejected content from YouTube. Tap the button below to change your consent.