Frameworks for EdTech Integration

Question:

In my work with preservice and in-service teachers, I always like to ground our conversations around technology in the classroom in a clear “why.” We’ve all seen technology used in ways that distracts from learning or maybe just fails to serve a clear pedagogical purpose in the lesson. Technology integration frameworks can help teachers, whether they’re novices or veterans, to take a reflective lens to their technology integration practices. Frameworks like this can also provide a common language as practitioners, which can be helpful in coaching conversations. I’m curious what frameworks others are using to frame their professional learning and coaching sessions. 

Decades ago, the SAMR Model gave us a starting point for these conversations, but over time I’ve noticed that it’s fallen out of use in many spaces. I’ve also found that many teachers, particularly early career teachers, find the levels of SAMR vague and difficult to conceptualize. 

Mishra & Koehler’s TPACK Model is a solid framework with a broad base of research support, but it speaks more to teacher knowledges than teacher actions. Teachers can have a lot of knowledge of technology and still choose not to apply that knowledge in their teaching practice. 

In recent years, our College of Education has started using Liz Kolb’s Triple E Model, and our preservice teachers have responded really well. The model is simple, with only three components, and action-focused. It asserts that technology should do three things: ENGAGE students in learning, ENHANCE student learning, and EXTEND students’ learning. I really appreciate the focus not on what technology is used but on how technology is used to support learning. 

That being said, I know there are many other models and frameworks to explore! What’s working for the teachers with whom you work?  

Posted on September 22, 2022 in response to JessicaH-W

Hi Jessica! Have you scoped out the Apple Teacher Portfolio? It sounds like a resource that might resonate with you and your colleagues. It goes beyond learning foundational skills with Apple technology and focuses on lesson design, which is one reason why I love it.

Posted on September 27, 2022 in response to llansford

Thanks for the suggestion! Our preservice teacher candidates all earn their Apple Teacher badges, but we haven't explored using the portfolio with them yet since they aren't teaching in their own classrooms. Definitely worth looking into!

Posted on September 29, 2022 in response to JessicaH-W

This is a great question. You could always test out a blended approach that puts framework into immediate practice. As Lauren suggested, using the Apple Teacher Portfolio could serve as a foundation for practical integration and reflection. Then, educators could take their work and connect it into any--or all!--of the major integration frameworks you've suggested.

I've seem SAMR recently discussed as less of a step-by-step hierarchy--which potentially misleads that we must achieve "redefinition" for everything--and more of a series of options that best suits a pedagogical or curriculum need. Therefore, educators can feel okay with saying, for example, "Substitution is best for me here!" and engage in deeper thinking about when Modification and Redefinition might be used.

Posted on September 30, 2022 in response to AdamW-AppleEDU

I like that reframing of SAMR, Adam! Thanks for sharing your ideas with me. It gives me more to think about!

Question: Frameworks for EdTech Integration

Maximum file size: 400MB

Insert a video

Insert an image

Insert an image

125: 125
220: 220

This action can’t be undone.

Error Message

Are you sure you want to continue? Your changes will not be saved.

This post contains content from YouTube.

If you choose to view this content, YouTube may collect and process certain personal data. You can view YouTube’s <a href="https://www.youtube.com/t/privacy" target="_blank">privacy policy here<span class="a11y">(opens in new window)</span>.</a>

This post contains content from YouTube.

You’ve rejected content from YouTube. Tap the button below to change your consent.