Music videos using iMovie and garage band

Question:

I recently gave a Year 9 History Elective class the opportunity to recreate a Ancient Greek myth using their choice of multiple media forms. Several chose to write and record their own music videos, recording the music on Garageband and the video on their iphones which was imported and edited in iMovie. This activity was highly successful and saw students who were previously disengaged demonstrating their knowledge, understanding and skills.

Posted on November 29, 2022 in response to dteuma12

This sounds great. Love that you were able to give your students the flexible of how to show their learning.

Posted on December 01, 2022 in response to dteuma12

Thanks for sharing about this project! It would be awesome if you could share some examples of their creations with us!

Posted on March 11, 2023 in response to dteuma12

This is great! I have used clips before with students where they have created 'protest songs' in Year 10 History. I love the idea of extending the lesson with Garage band too

Posted on March 12, 2023 in response to dteuma12

What a great lesson and a creative method to assess comprehension of the material. I have found is surprising that even college students are willing to come out of their shells and be creative when given the opportunity and resources. Congratulations to you for allowing creative options and to your students for taking full advantage of the opportunity.

I had my music appreciation students ‘write’ an oratorio to help understand what an oratorio was and to be able to identify components within the oratorio. They were to 1. Select a person (real or fictional), 2. Provide titles for each of the seven movements and to state if they were arias, recitatives, or choruses, and 3. To write lyrics for one of the movements. One group had a student compose a beat in GarageBand and another student in the group actually rapped in front of the class! I was amazed!

I’m so grateful for our iPads and how they have transformed education!

Question: Music videos using iMovie and garage band

Maximum file size: 400MB

Insert a video

Insert an image

Insert an image

125: 125
220: 220

This action can’t be undone.

Error Message

Are you sure you want to continue? Your changes will not be saved.

This post contains content from YouTube.

If you choose to view this content, YouTube may collect and process certain personal data. You can view YouTube’s <a href="https://www.youtube.com/t/privacy" target="_blank">privacy policy here<span class="a11y">(opens in new window)</span>.</a>

This post contains content from YouTube.

You’ve rejected content from YouTube. Tap the button below to change your consent.