Sidecar and/or Universal Control with managed Apple IDs

Question:

Does anyone know if Sidecar and/or Universal Control should work with managed Apple ID under macOS 13 and iPadOS 16.1? My 9th gen iPad does appear as an option for Sidecar, but when I select it my MacBook Air reports "The iCloud account does not use two-factor authentication" (even though it does). The same is true if I try to use Universal Control. 

Tagged in: iPadOS, macOS

Posted on December 07, 2022 in response to Community Member

I have the same issue, trying to connect my school MBA to my 11 inch iPad Pro. Both using the same school managed Apple ID. It's odd, as I had to use 2FA to log in to this website! The authentication text went to my phone.

Posted on December 08, 2022 in response to Community Member

At one point I was told by an Apple employee that Apple Managed ID's do not support Sidecar.

I hope this has changed as we would love to use them for our staff as well as students - we have a number of teachers who have a M1 MacBook Air and an iPad.

Posted on December 12, 2022 in response to Community Member

Hello,

According to this link, Sidecar and other Continuity features (such as Universal Control) are not accessible with Managed Apple ID.

Posted on December 12, 2022 in response to Community Member

Hi Michael,

I'm an Apple K12 Systems Engineer. Happy to help with your question! Like Clint mentioned, Sidecar does not support Managed Apple IDs. Be sure to connect with your assigned Systems Engineer to discuss other possible solutions. You can find out who your Apple SE is by calling 1-800-800-2775 and choose option 4 to get connected with your school's Apple sales team.

Best,

Dominique

Posted on May 08, 2023 in response to DominiqueB-AppleEDU

This is REALLY disappointing. We are doing a staff refresh this year, moving to silicon, and this is one of the most requested features from our teachers. I hate to be terse but I was under the impression that we purchased the same machines, used the same software and had iCloud accounts like the general public.

And yet here we are with devices that do NOT function the same. I would think a multi-trillion dollar company would be able to rectify this situation.

Posted on November 24, 2023 in response to Community Member

In case anyone else finds this thread, looking for answers about Sidecar/UniversalControl w/ Managed Apple ID, you might should check the updated KB.

Users can use the following features between devices when signed in with the same Managed Apple ID as the primary account on both devices:
AirDrop
AirPlay to Mac
Auto Unlock
Continuity Camera
Continuity Markup and Sketch
Handoff
Personal Hotspot
iPhone cellular calls
Sidecar
Universal Clipboard
Universal Control
User profile for user: Community Member

Question: Sidecar and/or Universal Control with managed Apple IDs

Maximum file size: 400MB

Insert a video

Insert an image

Insert an image

125: 125
220: 220

This action can’t be undone.

Error Message

Are you sure you want to continue? Your changes will not be saved.

This post contains content from YouTube.

If you choose to view this content, YouTube may collect and process certain personal data. You can view YouTube’s <a href="https://www.youtube.com/t/privacy" target="_blank">privacy policy here<span class="a11y">(opens in new window)</span>.</a>

This post contains content from YouTube.

You’ve rejected content from YouTube. Tap the button below to change your consent.