Coaching Teachers While Also Being a Teacher

Question:

I am a classroom teacher and I have a supplemental position for tech coaching. What successful models of coaching have people done who are in a similar position to me? How did you bring people on board to be coached? How did you set up a “vanguard team” to support your staff and tech integration growth?

Posted on February 18, 2023 in response to Katie110

I have been a digital learning coaching for about 6 years. ( I am in Western Australia)

1.I have a discussion with each year level to work out which terms will suit them ( taking into account camps, age level etc).

In consultation with the assistant principal we work out an overview of the year levels to be coached

I plan with a year level at the start to get an overview and then each week I meet with them to plan and go through some of the skills they will be learning. I then go in and teach the concept. The key is that the Teacher has to be engaged in the lesson and cannot be off doing other things. I never deliver a coaching session if the teacher is sick and a relief teacher is there instead.

At the end of the term or start of the following term we run a workshop where the teachers have 20 minutes to present to their colleagues something they learned. Teachers rotate around the three or four workshops to get a taster. This has been very effective. Sometimes we have had students assist with these workshops as “ teachers”.

I hope this helps.

Posted on March 05, 2023 in response to Katie110

Hi Katie!

Rose has given you some great tips here! Here are a few other posts from the Coaching section of the Forum that I think address parts of your discussion question if you read through the comments on these threads. A few of these posts also share templates to support coaching cycles. Hope this is helpful!

Influence Creation

Vanguard Teachers

Reflection Journal

Successful Professional Learning Ideas

Coaching Cycles Planning

Question: Coaching Teachers While Also Being a Teacher

Maximum file size: 400MB

Insert a video

Insert an image

Insert an image

125: 125
220: 220

This action can’t be undone.

Error Message

Are you sure you want to continue? Your changes will not be saved.

This post contains content from YouTube.

If you choose to view this content, YouTube may collect and process certain personal data. You can view YouTube’s <a href="https://www.youtube.com/t/privacy" target="_blank">privacy policy here<span class="a11y">(opens in new window)</span>.</a>

This post contains content from YouTube.

You’ve rejected content from YouTube. Tap the button below to change your consent.