Garageband Poetry

Question:

Hi!

New to the community! I am wishing to try a Garageband Poetry Slam with my sixth graders! I use rap as a popular example of how poetry isn't just "kid stuff" and how many of them enjoy poetry on a daily basis. I'd like them to experiment with Garageband to produce a poem set to music (with the caveat that they are not allowed to copy song lyrics or music). However, I'm not into rap music nor am I that proficient in the iPad Garageband App (I'm pretty good on a Macbook tho!). Does anyone have any recommendations on how to structure this lesson so that it doesn't turn into a cacophony of craziness or go the way of controversy?

Thanks!

Question marked as Helpful

Posted on March 24, 2023 in response to daniel1160

I agree with Cheryl; this does sound like a fun project! If you're looking for additional (free!) resources, there are some books in the Apple Distinguished Educator collection on Apple Books related to using Garageband in the classroom for similar projects. Here are a few books that might be helpful as you're planning:

Classroom Garageband by Richard Hopkin

Live Loops Poetry by Erika Moser (This book details projects for early learners, but they could be up-scaled to fit your 6th grade students.)

Character Chords with Garageband by Eoin Hughes

Student Book Jam by Jeanna Halderson & Carolyn Skibba

Welcome to the Community!

Here is a post from Eoin Hughes that might be helpful Blackout Recording with GarageBand for iPad. Eoin is a GarageBand guru and always provides detailed lessons.

You lesson sounds wonderful!

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Welcome to the Community!

Here is a post from Eoin Hughes that might be helpful Blackout Recording with GarageBand for iPad. Eoin is a GarageBand guru and always provides detailed lessons.

You lesson sounds wonderful!

I agree with Cheryl; this does sound like a fun project! If you're looking for additional (free!) resources, there are some books in the Apple Distinguished Educator collection on Apple Books related to using Garageband in the classroom for similar projects. Here are a few books that might be helpful as you're planning:

Classroom Garageband by Richard Hopkin

Live Loops Poetry by Erika Moser (This book details projects for early learners, but they could be up-scaled to fit your 6th grade students.)

Character Chords with Garageband by Eoin Hughes

Student Book Jam by Jeanna Halderson & Carolyn Skibba

Question: Garageband Poetry

Maximum file size: 400MB

Insert a video

Insert an image

Insert an image

125: 125
220: 220

This action can’t be undone.

Error Message

Are you sure you want to continue? Your changes will not be saved.

This post contains content from YouTube.

If you choose to view this content, YouTube may collect and process certain personal data. You can view YouTube’s <a href="https://www.youtube.com/t/privacy" target="_blank">privacy policy here<span class="a11y">(opens in new window)</span>.</a>

This post contains content from YouTube.

You’ve rejected content from YouTube. Tap the button below to change your consent.