Using photography as an inquiry hook.

Question:

Today was spent designing summer CPD courses for primary school teachers in Ireland. I am designing a course titled Digital Creativity in the Primary Classroom, we have one unit dedicated to photography. We want teachers to have the skills to create great photographs but also to use iconic photography to inspire writing, art appreciation and to have a greater insight into historical events.

What do you consider to be the most iconic photographs in history?

One that struck us was Sadie Pfeifer, a Cotton Mill Spinner, Lancaster, South Carolina

Question marked as Helpful

Posted on April 17, 2023 in response to Catherine_ADE

Neil Armstrong walking on the moon would be a great one to include. There are so many amazing picture books and stories about the moon that teachers could use alongside this to increase student discussion, vocabulary, writing and comprehension from a literacy perspective.

So cool and what a good question!

I just finished publishing Coffee Table History in the Apple Books Store. I used Pages to put together the book of some of my favorite primary source images from the Library of Congress. - Here is my post: Design and History - Making a Coffee Table Book.

Your question certainly has me thinking. There are so many images I would choose as iconic. Learners might want to make their own book to include their selections.

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Neil Armstrong walking on the moon would be a great one to include. There are so many amazing picture books and stories about the moon that teachers could use alongside this to increase student discussion, vocabulary, writing and comprehension from a literacy perspective.

So cool and what a good question!

I just finished publishing Coffee Table History in the Apple Books Store. I used Pages to put together the book of some of my favorite primary source images from the Library of Congress. - Here is my post: Design and History - Making a Coffee Table Book.

Your question certainly has me thinking. There are so many images I would choose as iconic. Learners might want to make their own book to include their selections.

Question: Using photography as an inquiry hook.

Maximum file size: 400MB

Insert a video

Insert an image

Insert an image

125: 125
220: 220

This action can’t be undone.

Error Message

Are you sure you want to continue? Your changes will not be saved.

This post contains content from YouTube.

If you choose to view this content, YouTube may collect and process certain personal data. You can view YouTube’s <a href="https://www.youtube.com/t/privacy" target="_blank">privacy policy here<span class="a11y">(opens in new window)</span>.</a>

This post contains content from YouTube.

You’ve rejected content from YouTube. Tap the button below to change your consent.