Can a managed iPad share an iCloud folder?

Question:

I have a classroom of iPads that are managed by an outside company through the school management system (I don't know the actual name). All of the iPads share the same iCloud account through the management system. I want to have a shared iCloud folder that is shared with my personal iCloud account so students can save files to it and I can quickly access on my Mac.

When I tried to set one up I got a message saying the ID does not have permission to create a shared folder and share files.

I asked the tech company to enable sharing on the iCloud account and they can't figure out how to do this and are telling me it isn't possible, which I have a hard time believing.

Is what I am trying to do possible? Can a managed iCloud ID have sharing enabled? If so what do I need to tell them to do?

Thanks!

Question marked as Helpful

Posted on September 24, 2022 in response to Rtteachr

Take a look at 'Manage Document Sharing' on this document: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/apple-school-manager/axmb43b66449/1/web/1.

You basically want them to allow for Managed Apple IDs to join collaborative documents and folders from outside of the institution.

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies
Question marked as Helpful

Posted on September 24, 2022 in response to Rtteachr

Take a look at 'Manage Document Sharing' on this document: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/apple-school-manager/axmb43b66449/1/web/1.

You basically want them to allow for Managed Apple IDs to join collaborative documents and folders from outside of the institution.

Posted on October 11, 2022 in response to tlings

Do you have a Managed Apple ID that is owned by your institution? I would pivot to using that instead of sharing with a personal (outside the institution) Apple ID. I would hesitate to tell you to turn on sharing outside of the institution without making sure that this is best for your school/students.

Posted on September 28, 2022 in response to Rtteachr

Hi!

I would recommend reaching out to your school's dedicated Apple Systems Engineer - they would be able to dive deeper into your deployment and provide some best practices as to sharing content among managed devices. You can find out who your Apple SE is by calling 1-800-800-2775 and choose option 4 to get connected with your school's Apple sales team.

Thanks!

Question: Can a managed iPad share an iCloud folder?

Maximum file size: 400MB

Insert a video

Insert an image

Insert an image

125: 125
220: 220

This action can’t be undone.

Error Message

Are you sure you want to continue? Your changes will not be saved.

This post contains content from YouTube.

If you choose to view this content, YouTube may collect and process certain personal data. You can view YouTube’s <a href="https://www.youtube.com/t/privacy" target="_blank">privacy policy here<span class="a11y">(opens in new window)</span>.</a>

This post contains content from YouTube.

You’ve rejected content from YouTube. Tap the button below to change your consent.