Classworks and non-managed Apple ID's

Question:

We are a BYOiPad school and as such our students have their own 'personal appleids.' We use JAMF to distribute apps - device managed.

My understanding is that classworks relies upon managed AppleID's - which apart from a small handful of shared iPads, we have none. I have been doing a little reading on utilising Google accounts to authenticate to Apple School Manager/Classworks but I can't tell whether this can be done in conjunction with a personal AppleID or only instead of?

We are not able to change to managed AppleID's - so does that mean Classworks is out of scope for us?

Chris

Posted on October 30, 2022 in response to CBennie

Hi Chris,

Classwork is based on Managed Apple IDs.

The Google Authentication features allow users to login using their school-provided Google IDs into those Managed Apple IDs, but that's the extent of the features there, it's not for personal IDs at all.

You may find you can use the Managed IDs through the web, but that will be a very limited feature set, and the IDs still need to be logged into a device at some point to make them active.

The only saving grace here is that you *can* use a School-created Managed ID for the iCloud Content (with the benefit of the 200GB of space), and a personal Apple ID for Store purchases on the same device but this wouldn't likely make too much of a difference and you'd need to have a very specific BYOD model (ie Parent Purchased, school managed) to make this viable.

I'm sorry I can't offer more suggestions here but happy to answer any other questions I can. I would think at the present time, it'd be largely out of scope.

Posted on November 08, 2022 in response to CBennie

Hello, CBennie.

Thanks for your question on Classwork*.

dcolville is correct in that Managed Apple IDs are required to use Classwork. Yet, for BYOiPad environments such as yourself you may want to consider User Enrollment. With this method, "the Managed Apple ID can be used alongside the personal Apple ID that the user has already signed in with; the two don’t interact with each other. User Enrollment is designed for devices owned by the user."

(*This app is also known as Schoolwork. In certain countries, particularly Australia, it is referred to as Classwork.)

Posted on November 10, 2022 in response to CBennie

Hi Chris,

I'm one of the K12 Systems Engineers with Apple Education. Happy to assist with your question!

You can use Classroom on devices with Personal Apple IDs as long as they are "teacher created" or "unmanaged" classes. This would mean that they don't feed through from Jamf and instead are created by the teacher on their device and require students to be in the classroom to join the class.

For further support on this, be sure to reach out to your aligned Apple Education Systems Engineer as well - you have a dedicated team to help you with all your Apple EDU solutions! You can find out who your Apple SE is by calling 1-800-800-2775 and choose option 4 to get connected with your school's Apple sales team.

Posted on November 13, 2022 in response to CBennie

I believe it is. We are just going managed IDs in our diocese and using Google to federate.

Question: Classworks and non-managed Apple ID's

Maximum file size: 400MB

Insert a video

Insert an image

Insert an image

125: 125
220: 220

This action can’t be undone.

Error Message

Are you sure you want to continue? Your changes will not be saved.

This post contains content from YouTube.

If you choose to view this content, YouTube may collect and process certain personal data. You can view YouTube’s <a href="https://www.youtube.com/t/privacy" target="_blank">privacy policy here<span class="a11y">(opens in new window)</span>.</a>

This post contains content from YouTube.

You’ve rejected content from YouTube. Tap the button below to change your consent.