The changes in the ripple effect from being a teacher to being a leader?

Question:

The transition from classroom teacher to a leadership role is a huge switch in how I function as an educator.  One of my goals in my new role is how I can effect change in a leadership role.  The ripple effect is different when the pond is the four walls of a classroom, versus when the pond becomes the lake of a district.  

What are areas you all have focused on or worked on that have made big ripples that create lasting change in your district?

#WeAreLCP

Posted on January 29, 2023 in response to aaron_teach

One of the most impactful changes I’ve made as a leader is connected to intervention supports. I created a system of intervention for K-8 mathematics with resources to fill a need that existed in my district (and beyond). Then I was (and still am) able to provide professional learning and coaching supports for educators.

My relationships with my educators serve as the foundation of their trust in me. I spend time in their classrooms, listen to them, check on them, respond to them, and make that human connection with them.

I recommend that you seek opportunities to fill a need. Be patient, because the benefit of your solution will depend on the authenticity of the need.

Posted on February 09, 2023 in response to mk2015

Thank you for sharing your story. I love the idea of connecting to a specific need! Once people see you as a resource, then they will start reaching out more.

Posted on February 10, 2023 in response to aaron_teach

One of the most impactful practices we have used are observation / feedback cycles. Site administrators or academic coaches observe teachers and then meet with them one on one to coach the teacher on a mutually agreed upon strategy / skill. It is important for the change in instruction to be "bite-sized", or something that can be executed in the very next lesson, high-leverage, and measurable. It is also important for the coach or administrator to follow with another observation within the next week or two to observe the agreed upon change.

Posted on February 23, 2023 in response to aaron_teach

First, congratulations on your new role! I hope that you are able to use the opportunity to create meaningful systemic changes. I think the first step I have always taken as a leader in a new role is seeking to understand the perspective of those whom I hope to lead. Regardless of the experience you walk into your role with, you must be able to hear and understand your team if you want to lead them.

I think one of the biggest challenges is seeing the why behind decisions that have been made in the past. Schools are siloed and when you are in a classroom you don't always see what other roles do to make the system work. Some questions to consider...How can you use your new found freedom outside of the walls of a classroom to create better communication amongst your staff? How do you help your team to gain perspectives they may not have about their colleagues work? How do you create a culture inside of your district that seeks first to understand and then to be understood. As a leader, how you tend to culture will impact every decision you make. The often repeated quote from Drucker "Culture eats strategy for breakfast." could not be more accurate. Invest in your people and understand their pain points before you start trying to make improvements. Good Luck!

Question: The changes in the ripple effect from being a teacher to being a leader?

Maximum file size: 400MB

Insert a video

Insert an image

Insert an image

125: 125
220: 220

This action can’t be undone.

Error Message

Are you sure you want to continue? Your changes will not be saved.

This post contains content from YouTube.

If you choose to view this content, YouTube may collect and process certain personal data. You can view YouTube’s <a href="https://www.youtube.com/t/privacy" target="_blank">privacy policy here<span class="a11y">(opens in new window)</span>.</a>

This post contains content from YouTube.

You’ve rejected content from YouTube. Tap the button below to change your consent.