Becoming an ADE?

Question:

Hi Apple Education Community, As part of our reflection at the Apple Learning Academy, we were asked to write about our goals for professional learning. My professional learning goal is to become an Apple Distinguished Educator.

Current and aspiring ADEs, I have a couple❓for you…

1) What was one positive outcome or experience or “aha moment” you have had as part of your ADE journey?

2) What was a challenge or road block you faced and how did you over come it?

3) Any other tips or thoughts to share?

Thank you 😊

Question marked as Helpful

Posted on January 25, 2023 in response to Rebecca1234

Hi Rebecca,

1. The biggest positive outcome has been the people I have met. These connections and interactions have impacted me in so many ways — from the example others have set, the ideas I have been inspired by, the opportunities to collaborate, and the friendships I have made.
  2. Imposter syndrome. I am *pretty* sure everyone feels this at some stage. Whether it is terms of sharing ideas or your voice online, or finding a place within an established community of educators and leaders. I overcame this by being true to who I am as a teacher and person, being a ‘Yes, and…’ person, learning from the example set by others, realising that we all have something unique to offer, and just being brave and willing to go for it.
  3. In terms of thoughts and tips if applying to be an ADE: Show what makes you unique, and what drives and inspires you. And, stick to three themes in your application video as you tell your story: Transforming your Learning Environment, Evidence of Success (I think this can be the hardest one!), and Extending your Reach.

I hope that helps! Best of luck with your application. 😊

Hi Rebecca, this is an awesome question! I'm really looking forward to hearing other peoples replies, but to kick things off I can share answers to those three questions as a 2019 ADE.

1) My 'aha moment' was realising that there are more people like me!! More people who love teaching using technology and more people who are pushing the boundaries and exploring innovative ways of using both iPads and Macs in the classroom.

2) My biggest challenge was my confidence. Being suddenly thrust into a room full of strangers for three days felt terrifying and took me a while to get through. The turning point was realising that everybody was in the same boat of not knowing each other and that it was okay to ask questions and chat. I created a world map on my iPad and set myself a task of trying to fill it with people who I'd spoken to at the ADE Institute. By the time I got back I'd gotten over 100 people on there - each one a new connection or a new friend. I now have that on the wall of my classroom to remind me of that incredible experience. 

A photograph of a world map with hundreds of individual photos of ADE from around the world on it.
My ADE Map from the 2019 Institute. Hopefully I can make a new one of these in the not too distant future!

3) My biggest tip would be to be authentic and share your own story. Explore what makes you tick, what drives you and where your passions lie. Everyone is different and there's no right or wrong way so long as you stay true to yourself.

I hope this helps and wishing you the very best of luck for when the 2023 applications open.

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Posted on January 24, 2023 in response to Rebecca1234

Can’t wait to hear responses from this question.

Hi Rebecca, this is an awesome question! I'm really looking forward to hearing other peoples replies, but to kick things off I can share answers to those three questions as a 2019 ADE.

1) My 'aha moment' was realising that there are more people like me!! More people who love teaching using technology and more people who are pushing the boundaries and exploring innovative ways of using both iPads and Macs in the classroom.

2) My biggest challenge was my confidence. Being suddenly thrust into a room full of strangers for three days felt terrifying and took me a while to get through. The turning point was realising that everybody was in the same boat of not knowing each other and that it was okay to ask questions and chat. I created a world map on my iPad and set myself a task of trying to fill it with people who I'd spoken to at the ADE Institute. By the time I got back I'd gotten over 100 people on there - each one a new connection or a new friend. I now have that on the wall of my classroom to remind me of that incredible experience. 

A photograph of a world map with hundreds of individual photos of ADE from around the world on it.
My ADE Map from the 2019 Institute. Hopefully I can make a new one of these in the not too distant future!

3) My biggest tip would be to be authentic and share your own story. Explore what makes you tick, what drives you and where your passions lie. Everyone is different and there's no right or wrong way so long as you stay true to yourself.

I hope this helps and wishing you the very best of luck for when the 2023 applications open.

Posted on February 15, 2023 in response to JacobW

I love the visual of the map! So cool!

Posted on February 25, 2023 in response to JacobW

This map is amazing!!!! I want to make one of these :)

Hi Rebecca,

1. The biggest positive outcome has been the people I have met. These connections and interactions have impacted me in so many ways — from the example others have set, the ideas I have been inspired by, the opportunities to collaborate, and the friendships I have made.
  2. Imposter syndrome. I am *pretty* sure everyone feels this at some stage. Whether it is terms of sharing ideas or your voice online, or finding a place within an established community of educators and leaders. I overcame this by being true to who I am as a teacher and person, being a ‘Yes, and…’ person, learning from the example set by others, realising that we all have something unique to offer, and just being brave and willing to go for it.
  3. In terms of thoughts and tips if applying to be an ADE: Show what makes you unique, and what drives and inspires you. And, stick to three themes in your application video as you tell your story: Transforming your Learning Environment, Evidence of Success (I think this can be the hardest one!), and Extending your Reach.

I hope that helps! Best of luck with your application. 😊

Posted on January 25, 2023 in response to ehughes

Hi Eoin and friends,

Is it strongly encouraged to have a completed Apple Teacher Portfolio before applying for ADE? I do not have a portfolio, but I did become an Apple Learning Coach last year.

Thanks for your advice.

Andrew

Posted on January 27, 2023 in response to aussieandrew

Hi Andrew,

Yes, I think that going through the whole process and completion of Apple Teacher Portfolio would be a fantastic part of your application.

Apple Teacher Portfolio is such a direct link and a great natural progression from Apple Teacher to ADE and will really help you to develop, reflect on, and improve your integration of iPad in the classroom. It is such a reflective process grounded in your experiences in the classroom with students, and that is exactly what you need to show in an ADE application.

It is definitely one of the best ongoing professional learning experiences I have ever engaged in!

I hope that helps. Best of luck with your application!

Eoin

Thanks for asking this! I'm patiently waiting for the application to open, so this gave me some valuable insight.

Rebecca,

I would echo what Eoin and Jacob shared!

1) The biggest benefit and aha is finding people who live for stretching their thinking and skills to create new ways to impact teaching and learning. I am a better teacher and coach because of the connections I was able to make and maintain in the ADE community.

2) Imposter syndrome is REAL. It was helpful for me to hear how many people that I held in high regard had experienced the same thing. I tried to give myself the same grace and permission to fail forward that I would give others in such a wild, inspiring, innovative environment.

3) Spend some time reflecting on and crafting the story of you. Lean into your passions and be confident in the unique story you have to tell! This will be helpful, not only as you create your application but also as you move through your career. I didn’t realize how much clarifying my “why” would impact the trajectory of my career; being able to confidently tell my story has helped open doors I never considered going through!

Best of luck to you! 🤞

Posted on February 13, 2023 in response to Rebecca1234

Hello Rebecca!

1) To echo what Eoin said, the people are what make ADE such an incredible community. ADE people are the "crazy idea" friends that are amazing to reach out to for professional ideas and advice, and they've also got your back in the personal realm of life too.

2) The immediate challenge for me was that I was a lone wolf, no one else in my district was an ADE so that was a bit intimidating to attend institute as an individual (I would 100% do it again).

3) Many people have to apply multiple times to get into ADE! Don't lose hope if you don't make it immediately :)

Best Wishes!

Posted on February 13, 2023 in response to Rebecca1234

Hi Rebecca,

1) I agree with Eoin; the biggest positive outcome has come from being part of the ADE community. Fellow ADEs are supportive and super eager to share resources.

2) I was really nervous about creating the video. The video teacher at my school helped me break the process down into steps: write the story, storyboard, film the clips, edit in iMovie. I learned a lot creating the videos.

3) Make sure you focus on how you are using Apple products in your context. Also, if there are any prompts for the video, make sure you directly address / answer the prompts. I don't know what the process will look like, so I'm not sure. But, read everything before you create anything.

Good luck!

Heather

Posted on February 15, 2023 in response to Rebecca1234

I can’t wait for the applications to open! I’ve been checking often. Looking forward to getting another chance to apply.

Question: Becoming an ADE?

Maximum file size: 400MB

Insert a video

Insert an image

Insert an image

125: 125
220: 220

This action can’t be undone.

Error Message

Are you sure you want to continue? Your changes will not be saved.

This post contains content from YouTube.

If you choose to view this content, YouTube may collect and process certain personal data. You can view YouTube’s <a href="https://www.youtube.com/t/privacy" target="_blank">privacy policy here<span class="a11y">(opens in new window)</span>.</a>

This post contains content from YouTube.

You’ve rejected content from YouTube. Tap the button below to change your consent.