Keynote- Share ideas please!

Question:

Hello Apple Educators,

Every summer we offer an Apple- Everyone Can Create series that inspires hands-on creation and time to connect these sessions to the district curriculum. We often hear our teachers say things like, "Wow this is fun" or, "I'm glad we had the time to work on this during the summer... the school year is too packed".

This summer we are offering 8 sessions, twice a day for four days. Usually, we use different Everyone Can Create Projects from the books (see last year's agenda here). However, this summer I was thinking of leveraging just one of Apple's programs to create multiple products - Keynote. This supports the idea of choice and power, and as a teacher, provides you the chance to give students choice in how they express their learning (UDL). Here are the ideas I was thinking of, but I would LOVE to hear if you have any other coaching experiences with Keynote that were a slam dunk with your staff. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

1. Animated GIFS- great for sequencing or process-oriented tasks. Can be applied across all subject areas
  2. Live Video and Screen Recording - Students act out an event or summarize their learning
  3. Stop Motion -
  4. Non-linear Timelines/ Timelines - Students build out different slides and code them together.
Tagged in: Keynote, Coaching
Question marked as Helpful

Posted on April 08, 2023 in response to CaitlinM

You've got a great start here on your list of possibilities for Keynote, Caitlin! There are a lot of great activity ideas and templates posted in the Forum that utilize Keynote. Here are a few of my favorites:

Keynote LiveVideo for student self-reflection

Keynote Skills: Creativity with Text as Keynote Shapes

Comic Creations with Keynote

Storytelling through Keynote Animation (This post also talks about the Sketches School app, but you could do all the drawing in Keynote as well.)

Creativity Lab: Keynote Shapes

Keynote - News Broadcast template

Simplifying Complex Ideas with Keynote

With the most recent update to the Forum, you can also search by keyword (like searching "Keynote") and it will populate all the posts that have that tag, so there's a ton more to explore, a lot more easily than having to page through all the posts in the Forum from most recent to oldest.

Hope this is helpful! Best of luck with your summer PD planning!

Posted on April 09, 2023 in response to CaitlinM

Love your ideas :) Keynote is a magical tool for creating content. Other ideas to consider:

1. Explaining a process such as pollination, how a bill becomes a law, or erosion.
  2. Scaffolding the production process, including storyboarding
  3. A learning journal for station rotation
  4. Animated poetry
  5. Project Management for students to use in project-based learning

I created this to PLAY with Keynote animation - you can download it in Keynote or preview in PDF: 30 Days of Animation

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Posted on April 08, 2023 in response to CaitlinM

You've got a great start here on your list of possibilities for Keynote, Caitlin! There are a lot of great activity ideas and templates posted in the Forum that utilize Keynote. Here are a few of my favorites:

Keynote LiveVideo for student self-reflection

Keynote Skills: Creativity with Text as Keynote Shapes

Comic Creations with Keynote

Storytelling through Keynote Animation (This post also talks about the Sketches School app, but you could do all the drawing in Keynote as well.)

Creativity Lab: Keynote Shapes

Keynote - News Broadcast template

Simplifying Complex Ideas with Keynote

With the most recent update to the Forum, you can also search by keyword (like searching "Keynote") and it will populate all the posts that have that tag, so there's a ton more to explore, a lot more easily than having to page through all the posts in the Forum from most recent to oldest.

Hope this is helpful! Best of luck with your summer PD planning!

Posted on April 10, 2023 in response to JessicaH-W

Jessica,

Thank you for the ideas. Keynote is such a powerful tool for students to share their learning in a creative way. I know the teachers will appreciate these.

Have a great day,

Caitlin

Posted on April 09, 2023 in response to CaitlinM

Love your ideas :) Keynote is a magical tool for creating content. Other ideas to consider:

1. Explaining a process such as pollination, how a bill becomes a law, or erosion.
  2. Scaffolding the production process, including storyboarding
  3. A learning journal for station rotation
  4. Animated poetry
  5. Project Management for students to use in project-based learning

I created this to PLAY with Keynote animation - you can download it in Keynote or preview in PDF: 30 Days of Animation

Posted on April 10, 2023 in response to shmaynor

Susan,

I love this guide! This would be a great project to share with anyone getting into Keynote animations. I also love the progression of ideas, I can see them building into more complex skills as they progress through the 30 days, allowing teachers to customize the success criteria.

This would be an excellent visual for teachers as well!

Best,

Caitlin

Posted on April 11, 2023 in response to CaitlinM

We love to do animated vocabulary with keynote. Students can use line draw to animate the word, add shapes to animate and create a visual for the word and definition, add audio to explain their thinking.

Posted on April 11, 2023 in response to CaitlinM

Ways that some of our teachers have found success with Keynote is creating animated comics, ordered card sorts w/ audiovisual explanations, learning journals using live video, building animated settings (for a story, historic location, biome, etc.) with shapes/drawings and using live video to put oneself into the setting to explain learning, and creating stories or processes that feature student-created Memojis.

Posted on April 13, 2023 in response to CaitlinM

Love what you've got so far! I would definitely showcase "Magic Move" and how the transition can be applied across so many content areas.

Also the former 'instant alpha' or remove background feature is a huge hit with our teachers and students.

Posted on April 17, 2023 in response to CaitlinM

Here are some idea for history educators and learners - Animating History (Apple Book Store). 

Animating History Book Cover
Animating History Book Cover
Thanks Caitlin for this post. Lots of good Keynote ideas here! Workshop attendees as well as all of us in this Community have so many ideas and curricular areas to choose from when working with Keynote.

Also you inspired me to update my Animating History book using the current Keynote updates. I had published it in 2019 and things have certainly changed since then!

Posted on April 17, 2023 in response to CaitlinM

Caitlin,

Another piece you could do is how to create "pieces" in Keynote to export and use in AR Makr. It really shows how their creations can come to life. We have had a lot of success with teachers and students doing this!

Posted on May 02, 2023 in response to CaitlinM

I love your ideas as well as what others shared :)

Keynote is also an amazing tool to:

• Create virtual manipulative content;
  • Build personalized tools (i.e. sciences course notes with a table of content, links to slides, embedded examples, videos, voice, photos, etc.);
  • Create interactive quizzes or games;
  • Create a comic strip: students can create their own comic strip or graphic novel. They can add text boxes, speech bubbles, and sound effects to tell a story or convey a message (and even export it as a video).

Question: Keynote- Share ideas please!

Maximum file size: 400MB

Insert a video

Insert an image

Insert an image

125: 125
220: 220

This action can’t be undone.

Error Message

Are you sure you want to continue? Your changes will not be saved.

This post contains content from YouTube.

If you choose to view this content, YouTube may collect and process certain personal data. You can view YouTube’s <a href="https://www.youtube.com/t/privacy" target="_blank">privacy policy here<span class="a11y">(opens in new window)</span>.</a>

This post contains content from YouTube.

You’ve rejected content from YouTube. Tap the button below to change your consent.